Chapter 3

Ryraso woke up facing Dyn'ad. The k'nairi was still asleep with his arms holding Ryraso close and their legs tangled together. Dyn'ad's face was tense and unhappy even in sleep. Ryraso felt oddly numb for the moment. In mere hours he was going to be branded and whipped in front of the entire court. Every High Guardian, first bonded and nosy busybody was in court now. He wasn't scared. Nervous but not scared. He had known this was coming but when Nel'os had told him the previous day, an icy feeling had overcome it.

Tai'ray hadn't looked at him when he had gotten back from court. He had only spoken to Ryraso tell him that the branding would be today in a formal tone. The boys had been quiet too, leaving Nel'os and Dyn'ad to fill the quiet tension with something else. It hadn't quite worked.  

He sat up and looked outside. The sun was starting to lower. The countdown was coming to an end. Ryraso's heartbeat starting to increase and he forced himself to count to ten. He could do this. He would do this with his heart high. He had nothing to be ashamed off here. He had left for a good reason and he had fought with one too. Closing his eyes, Ryraso steeled himself before moving to get out of the best. Dyn'ad moaned loudly in complain and holding him tighter to stop him escaping.

"Dyn'ad," Ryraso coaxed softly, running a hand through Dyn'ad's hair as he leaned on one arm. "I need to have a shower at least before the ceremony," he commented softly. He wasn't going into this anything less than perfect.

"No!" Dyn'ad replied in a rather childish tone. "Don't go. Warm. Soft. Safe."

"Sticky," Ryraso added, to the one-word comment with a large smile on his face. "Come on," he tugged at the arms. "You know if I'm not in perfect condition the nobles will talk for months," he pointed out reasonably. Not that he cared much about what the nobles thought typically but it matters to Nel'os and to a less degree with Tai'ray. Ryraso was their intended and he needed to be viewed with respect. 

"They always talk," Dyn'ad grumbled, having little patience for it all. It was amazing to the commoner born that Tai'ray was able to deal with all the maniacs who resided in the court. Dyn'ad preferred dealing with the Generals and Commanders. At least they had conversations he could understand. Nel'os found it amusing and endearing, able to keep up and enjoy court gossip. But he was born noble.

"Better for them to say good things, rather than bad," Ryraso replied, his fingers stroking Dyn'ad hair softly. It was rare Dyn'ad reverted to being like this. Ryraso knew part of the reason would be Dyn'ad wasn't really awake yet and had momentarily forgotten the seriousness of the situation. But the awareness would return soon. It was also why he was humouring the man. It was nice. A touch of normalcy in an otherwise stressful day.

The Royals hadn't tried to play with him that night. Not that Ryraso had been in the mood either but there had been no flirting. He had gotten barely a kiss on the forehead from Tai'ray. It would have stung, only Nel'os had clung onto him with such ferocity that Ryraso knew he was still desired. Tai'ray didn't want this ceremony to happen any more than Ryraso did. Only, there was no other way. Not now. 

Dyn'ad groaned unhappily, pressing his face into Ryraso's thighs before his limbs tensed. His memory finally kicking in. He looked up slowly at Ryraso, who gave him a sad smile, cupping Dyn'ad face. He leaned down and kissed him softly. Dyn'ad blushed slightly.