Chapter 30

Cai'ress walked into the middle of the stand off. Ryraso wasn't about the back down and show weakness here. The goddess had forced him into a corner but this pimp was no where near as powerful as he thought he was. Ryraso knew the nobles enjoyed their pets but slavery was illegal here. Om'hat may have deluded himself into thinking he was the lord and master of his whores, but he wasn't.

"You are far too headstrong," Om'hat snorted. "I'm sure there are many who wish to have you knocked down a peg or two."

"And you are intending to be first in line," a Ryraso drawled as Cai'ress placed the kettle and two cups on the table. His hands were trembling. There were fresh lash marks across his palms and over his knuckles, not deep enough to draw blood but the bruises were definitely fresh. Ryraso's stomach twisted in disgust. This was so wrong. Some of the makeup of starting to peel off, tear tracks ruined the rouge and added to effect of a disgraced noble. Ryraso wanted to reach forward and wipe it off him, only he couldn't. Not with how Om'hat was looking at them.

"Certainly. I can work wonders with stubborn nobles," Om'hat grinned, his teeth too sharp, eyes too focused and talons gleaming. He clicked once, Cai'ress knelt again, forehead touching the mat. "I certainly made Cai'ress sweet for his clicks."

"Good thing I'm not a noble,"

"No, you're not but we both know that means little," Om'hat chuckled, a hand reaching down to tangle the into Cai'ress's hair and pet it. "Apply enough pain and humiliation," he hummed, gripping Cai'ress head and slamming it into table. Twice. Ryraso tried to jump to stop him but hands grabbed him, holding him in place painfully as Om'hat laughed darkly. "And you can break any spirit."

"Bastard," Ryraso growled through his teeth.

"What do you say, pet?" Om'hat asked, this eyes not leaving Ryraso's. The last time Ryraso had seen such sadistic glee in a man's eyes was when he'd been facing the Dmar torturer.

"Don't," Ryraso called but the look in Cai'ress's eyes told him everything. Blood dribbled down Cai'ress's face between his eyes. They were hazed over. The young noble who had comforted Aw'endo, who had dealt with nobles and who had gained the hearts of two of the nobles was gone. Left in his place was a broken thing. Ryraso was willing to bet Cai'ress was days away from losing his name. He struggled against the hands but the hands were too strong.

"Thank you Master for correcting your behaviour," Cai'ress said. Nothing, there was nothing in his voice. No fear, but no joy either. It was just empty. Ryraso wanted to throw up. Bile bubbled in the back of his throat painfully.

"Another few months and he'll be ripe for the picking," Om'hat purred, stroking Cai'ress's hair. His eyes were finally of Ryraso. Ryraso wasn't sure the new look in the, was any better. He looked almost fond of Cai'ress in that moment.

"You're sick," Ryraso hissed.

Those orange eyes snapped back to him and the mouth grinned. "You won't be trained for clicks. The lover of the
Winglord needs to be pure. You just need some behaviour adjustment," Oh'mat purred. Cai'ress leaned into the touches and closed his eyes, staying low beneath Om'hat eye line. His body stance was relaxed and calm. Cai'ress was sinking. "Shave of some of that independent streak and make you more mouldable. You'll never be as pretty as this one, but I'm sure I can make your eyes shine," Om'hat said.

"Just how you planning to do that?" Ryraso challenged, trying to put the full force of his glare in the man. Hands let go of him but talons and wings were close. If he tried to fight or run and he would be pinned again. His skin itched at the sight of Cai'ress acting in such a manner. Om'hat wanted Ryraso to act like this. Worse, Om'hat wanted to make Ryraso to act like this.