Chapter 16

Things felt weird for a while. Dyn'ad held him still, Ryraso panting echoing through the room. As he calmed, he closed his eyes and slumped against Dyn'ad. He could feel Dyn'ad murmuring words through the link but he couldn't make them out. A low hum drifted through the room. Dyn'ad singing gently. He could feel Dyn'ad heart beating against his beck, he could feel his heat surrounding him and the link singing around him. Sounds quietened and for a moment all he was aware off was the heat from Dyn'ad.

"Ryraso," a voice whispered. He looked up into Pol'ar's eyes. 

"Pol'ar," he murmured, shifting unhappily in Dyn'ad's grip. His hand was already in the older k'nairi's grip. Numbing magic flowing over his arm and Ryraso could feel the healing magic flowing through his wrist. It was cold, almost soothing as the pain faded and his bones shifted back into the correct position. Ryraso bit his lip as they snapped into place, no amount of pain relieve able to make that disappear.  

"You really did a number on yourself, son," Pol'ar commented. There was some kindness in his voice. There was also a heavy dash of disapproving. Ryraso understood that. If someone else had done what he had done, Ryraso would be giving them a lecture and refusing to give them painkillers. Pol'ar was doing that at least. 

"Nel'os wouldn't let me walk it off," Ryraso said numbly in explanation. It wasn't really a good enough excuse but. Excuse and reason weren't the same things. "Anger needed to go somewhere and he wouldn't let me walk it off."

Dyn'ad shifted behind him and kissed the back of his head.  Ryraso was suddenly aware he had been moved to the bed. The floor was now soft under him and shifted with Dyn'ad. Pol'ar was sitting to the side but Ryraso was still in Dyn'ad's grip. The man wasn't about to let go of him any time soon. Ryraso felt his cheeks warm. He had broken his arm by punching a wall because his ... courter?... had refused to have sex with him. An urge to run and hide filled his chest. It was probably a good thing Dyn'ad was holding him. How could he had been so stupid? 

"Fuck," Ryraso cursed softly, his eyes watering. 

"Breathe," Pol'ar advised. The healing magic suddenly feeling ice cold. "You're ok. You're safe. No more breaking your hand, please," he added with a warm smile that didn't quite meet his eyes. "Rest today. Tomorrow we'll talk about if you need some help."

Those words felt like salt rubbing into wounds. Ryraso looked at Pol'ar warily, hoping his eyes weren't watering. "Help?" Ryraso asked, his voice neutral.

"Don't use that tone with me Ryraso. Yes, help," Pol'ar warned, his eyes glaring back at Ryraso. Ryraso felt an almost nostalgic feeling rise up inside of him and looked away. He had forgotten how it felt to be scolded by someone who had known and taught him. It didn't feel good. "You have been at the front of the war for a long time and are now on the opposite side. You have a magical link now reawaken in you that is circling around you. I think you may need more support than you have currently. It will be discreet, I promise. But you will follow anything that is requested."

"Yes, sir," Ryraso agreed, shoulders slumping. He didn't agree with Pol'ar but now was not the time to fight. He didn't need help in that way. He needed to get what was expected of him over with so it was no longer a looming sword over his head. He needed to contact Isst and let the man know he was ok. He needed to help his sons readjust to their new lives. He needed to get Wiljam out of his head. He did not need help coping.