Chapter 21

Leaving Pol'ar's room, Ryraso breathed deeply and moved over to his son. Eyeri was busy cleaning tools in a sink. He smiled at Ryraso bravely. The kind of smile given when someone wasn't sure how the other was going to be. Ryraso hugged him tight for a moment. Eyeri grumbled but leant into the hug, not putting his arms around Ryraso because of his wet arms.

"So I'm guessing that went well?" Eyeri teased softly.

"As well as expected," Ryraso grumbled. "The solution is not going to be easy. For now, I have a few things to do before I can attempt them," he admitted, releasing his son and tucking a stray strand of hair behind Eyeri's ear. "We still need to get your haircut."

"No time," Eyeri chuckled. His eyes were slightly worried but his laughter sounded happy and light. Ryraso looked over Eyeri with a careful eye. He was nervous but didn't look scared.

"As long as you find time to eat today," Ryraso warned sternly. Eyeri flushed and looked back down at the things he was cleaning. He shrugged loosely, clearly not making any promises to do so. Ryraso gave him a look. Eyeri had managed to duck away in the morning before eating breakfast but Ryraso knew Matron Iss'vine had already been by to force Eyeri to eat some fruit at least. The look in her eyes when Ryraso has explained about Eyeri's eating habits had been almost feral. "I mean it, Eyeri. You have to eat."

"Isn't he eating?" Pol'ar voice commented from next to him.

"He forgot yesterday," Ryraso admitted with a strong tone of displeasure.

"I wasn't hungry," Eyeri shrugged, placing a bowl on the drying rank and continuing with his current job. He wanted this conversation to end. 

Ryraso gave Pol'ar an exasperated look, hoping that Pol'ar would see this as a character flaw as opposed to something deeper. "I only just managed to get you to a respectable weight and you're starting your growth spurt," Ryraso said dryly. He was already noticing a few extra inches on Eyeri. The hug had felt different. His boy was starting to grow into a man.  "Try harder not to forget."

"Matron had already made it clear she's going to make sure I eat breakfast. I'm sure Fetmar is planning to kidnap me for lunch. It will be fine," Eyeri grumbled unhappily, flicking some water at Ryraso. Ryraso hummed.

"If his brother doesn't appear by the third quarter, I'll bring him with me to eat," Pol'ar promised calmly.

"Forget two meals and everyone jumps on you," Eyeri complained under his voice but his face was red. He was embarrassed. Ryraso smirked. If embarrassing Eyeri was what it took to get him to eat, he would happily do it.

"Must be tough having people who care," Ryraso teased, poking Eyeri in the ribs. Eyeri complained but Ryraso only kissed his cheek before leaving him to his job. With one last respectful nod to Pol'ar, Ryraso left the healer's clinic. Gripping S'onon's hand as the man reached for him in a passing greeting.

"Consort Ryraso!" a voice called and suddenly Regent Un'tat was by his side looking a touch out of breath and generally disheveled. The man had bags under his eyes and his dark hair was touch out of place. If it wasn't for the fact the royals were content, if not slightly bored in a few cases, and he'd just seen Eyeri was fine, Ryraso would have been worried something had happened.