Chapter 47

Fetmar corrected the stance of one of the students and moved with him as he moved through the stance, helping him move the right way. The kid groaned as he got it wrong again. Fetmar smiled went through it again. He was an older one who had fallen into bad habits. His eyes flickered up as Nel'os appeared with Aw'endo, the two looking sheepish and oddly dripping wet. 

"Good to see you," Fetmar called over them, bemused. He patted his student's shoulder as his arm moved wrong again. Another groan and they moved again. Fetmar watched him get it right before smiling at him and moving over to Aw'endo. He caught the younglings as he dived into his arms and hugged him tightly. "I assumed you weren't coming today," he murmured into Aw'endo damp hair, kissing his forehead. During sessions, he treated Aw'endo the same as the rest of them but this moment was different.  

"I wasn't but Eyeri's here?" Aw'endo asked.

"Yes, he is," Fetmar agreed, "He's over with Zaro practising his daggers, so be careful," he butted their heads together and gestured over to where they were. 

Aw'endo nodded and flittered over, but Fetmar didn't miss how he moved passed a few other younglings to greet them silently. Wings brushed over each other and one who was stretching out a pull yanked Aw'endo for a brief hug. The look of surprise on Aw'endo's face hurt Fetmar's chest. Friends, Aw'endo was sure he didn't have them, Fetmar was growing increasingly certain that he had people who liked him but struggled to help him with the bullies. 

"Fetmar..."

"Royal Bonded Nel'os?" Fetmar asked, turning back to the Royal. "I see you spent time with him as least. Did this expand to an actual conversation or just play?" He signalled to the younglings to finish for the day. Half of which collapsed on the ground. A few chased after Aw'endo to watch Eyeri use his blades. 

Nel'os paused, expression unreadable. They were in public, Fetmar noted. Fetmar calling him by full title was a clear indication of how Fetmar felt about Nel'os at the moment. "Fetmar," Nel'os repeated tone shifting. He did not approve of Fetmar suggesting he was not a good guardian in a public place with curious ears about. "This is not the time nor the place."

"There is a ring, right there," Fetmar gestured over to it. "I told you before, I think the idea you can't let your frustrations out while sparing is ridiculous. You're a more skilful warrior than most in this room. This is the perfect place."

"It is not proper," Nel'os reminded, walking with Fetmar to the side where the children were less likely to be trying to understand them. His wings flapped before setting down again. "Fetmar."

"Do you have something to say to me or are you just going to keep saying my name?" He pushed himself up to sit on a ledge. He grabbed his waterskin and took a drink. "I'd offer this to you but you look like you've had enough water."

"We played more than talked," Nel'os leaned next to him, looking back over the training grounds. To the far side, the guards were going exercises. Some of the younglings were trying to mimic their moments. Fetmar knew which ones were likely to take that path and which would be going to joining the D'mar. It was rather easy to tell. Anyone who didn't agree, or whose family didn't agree, with the D'mar joined the home guard instead. It made things easier for Fetmar to know who to trust.