Chapter 32

A/N: well... since I didn't update for two months, have two updates. This one has some gore too. Be warned.

—-x—-

Ryraso woke to darkness. He could feel bodies around him. Tai'ray to the left, Eyeri to the right with Nel'os behind him. Aw'endo was curled between Tai'ray and him too, but it took an extra moment for him to feel him. Dyn'ad was resting above them, sitting in a protective stance with his wings up. Something had happened. The head took that position when the nest was in danger.    

What had happened? His mind was blank. He yawned, wincing as his torso ached.    

The stone guardian shifted from his position. A presence moved against the edges of his mind. Ryraso pushed back and found a barrier in the way. It was thin. He pushed against it again, this time bursting through in and into the mental mindscape that was Dyn'ad's. Warm and surrounded by love, he settled in the man's mind and in the arms of his family. Mental arms held him close.  

"Where's Fetmer?"  

"Guarding with Herymi,"    

"Ok," Ryraso closed his eyes. The whispers of danger after a nightmare were fading as Dyn'ad love filled him. The safety of being surrounded, warming his chest and filling him. Whatever had happened, it was dark. It was time to sleep. Everything could be dealt with in the morning. Dyn'ad mind agreed with him, gentle whispers chasing away any evil thoughts.    

"I love you, Ryraso."  

"I love you too, Dyn'ad," Ryraso smiled, nuzzling into the pillow and letting his mind float again.    

Next thing Ryraso was aware of, he was back in the garden. The table was still set up with the tea set. The warm, safe feelings were still bubbling his chest, but feelings of danger were returning. He remembered his dream. The light in the garden was dim, and blue balls of magic were lighting the area now. It created a more subdued atmosphere. Cai'ress was on the floor weeping, his wingless back shuddering. The sounds of his crying filling the space. They hurt his chest.  

Something terrible had happened. Ryraso couldn't remember what but it involved Cai'ress. Ryraso frowned and tried to move closer. He couldn't stand to listen to anyone weep like that.    

Before he could get closer, a hand caught his wrist and span him back into a firm chest. Wiljam smiled at him. There were no emotions in his eyes, they were blank. Or rather, eye. The left side of Wiljam's face was now scarred, a mess of flesh where his eyes should be. Ryraso reached up for it, his instincts to try to heal the mess, but Wiljam shook his head. "You can't fix that, my love. No more than you can fix that," he nodded towards the weeping k'nairi.  

"I tried.  I sent people to look for him. I didn't want him to get hurt."  

"You failed, and now he will suffer the consequences of it. Both of you will."    

"Wiljam, this isn't you," Ryraso whispered, tugging his hand out of Wiljam's wrist. "You're not like this   " Wiljam was never angry, never jealous. When he'd ended it, Wiljam had been sweet and kind. Even towards people who deserved it, the man never raised a word or a fist, unless it was in defence. This Wiljam was Ryraso's mind-twisting, and Ryraso knew it. He knew this wasn't real, and yet it felt so. Ryraso leaned forward and pressed his forehead to the dream's shoulder. "This isn't you."