The Status Quo and Other Enviable Situations

"Hey."

Candice looked up from her locker to see Curt standing beside her. She was taken aback, largely because they hadn't spoken since school let out for the summer three months earlier. Now classes had been back in session for the better part of a week and Candice had essentially given up hope of ever having any kind of association with Curt ever again.

"Hey," she answered softly, still feeling somewhat off-kilter.

"I hope I didn't startle you."

"I don't think there was any way to avoid it," Candice smiled.

"How are you?"

The question was so much more than the conversation filler it normally was. Candice felt its full weight as soon as he'd uttered it. How are you? How have you been? Are you coping? Are you alright? Are we alright? Do you hate me?

"I'm good," she replied simply.

"You look good," he said somewhat shyly.

"So do you."

"Does Will ever come around--" he began.

"No," she stopped him, "we don't talk much anymore."

"I noticed. He looks kinda rough these days."

"Yeah. I think all that business may have been harder on him than it was on me, if you can believe it," Candice mused.

"I see you and Chad together quite a bit."

"Yeah, we hang out a lot, but, I dunno? I think maybe I'm gonna fly solo for a while."

"I don't blame you," Curt answered, "but, ya know, if you ever change your mind... Chad. He's a good guy."

"That's good to know."

Candice pulled her book bag out of her locker, gathering her homework. Curt waited patiently while she got organized. Slowly she closed her locker.

"Maybe," he began, "we could hang out together sometime."

"I'd like that," she said softly, before adding, "I've missed you."

"Me too... Candy Girl."

Candice looked at him then. She suspected that he was trying to apologize (in his way) for being so vindictive towards her the previous spring.

"It's good to hear you say that," she whispered, trying to control the wave of emotion washing over her.

"I thought it would be different... leaving you. I was so angry. I thought I could go my whole life and never speak to you again."

"I was beginning to think you could too."

"I was pretty hard on you," he murmured.

"It's okay. I deserved it."

"Maybe."

They paused for a long moment, looking at each other. He was every bit as handsome as she remembered, but with more depth, more sympathy, and understanding. She was every bit as beautiful as he remembered, but with more strength, more determination, and purpose.

"I'll see you around, Curt," Candice smiled.

"I sure hope so," he answered softly.

A moment later, she turned away from him and headed down the hallway toward the glow of late summer sunshine that was waiting just outside. It was going to be a good year. She just knew it.

THE END