Chapter 4: Before the Fall Part 2

READER

          “What the hell?! Who are you? Wake up!”

          You turned over in your sleep, groaning. “Five more minutes, Furlan..” you murmured, not wanting to open your eyes just yet. However, you were given no choice as you felt yourself being dropped on a hard surface. Your eyes immediately shot open, and you found yourself looking at a very angry man. His round blue eyes looked at you disapprovingly, his mouth set into a disgusted frown. You immediately got up and wiped the remaining drool on your face, smiling sheepishly.

          With one last glare, he got back to driving his cart, his pale, bald head glistening in the sunlight, which you found quite amusing. Sunlight..? You looked up to see an azure sky, the brightness of the sun blinding your (e/c) eyes. Is this..what the surface looks like? You wondered in awe. Everything looks so…beautiful. You took everything in. From the elegant buildings to the cobblestone roads, your full attention was given to the amazing scenery before you, not noticing the strange looks people were giving you. You were brought out of your gawking by the sound of wagon wheels.

            Glued to the spot, you could only watch as the vehicle came closer, bracing yourself for the impact.

          “Hey! Watch out!”

          You cried out as someone rammed themselves onto you, pushing you to the other side of the road as well as bruising your left arm. You winced at the pain.  “What is wrong with you?! Do you have a death wish?”

          You looked up to see a young boy around the same age as you on top of you, his golden hues looking at your wide (e/c) eyes with concern. His hair fell down on his face in a messy manner. You were fascinated by the way the top half was a light chestnut brown, while the bottom half was a darker shade. To say the least, it was a beautiful beige undercut. What am I saying?! You mentally scolded yourself before pushing him off you. You looked at your surroundings once more. Though you didn’t want to admit it, you were lost.

          “You’re not from here, are you?” the boy continued to ask. Annoyed, you turned to him again.

          “What makes you say that?”

          “Dunno,” he replied, scratching the back of his head. “I’ve never seen you around before, I guess. Don’t need to be mad about it. I’m Jean. Jean Kirschtein.” he continued, extending his hand out towards you.

          You hesitated before shaking his hand. It only occurred to you now that you’ve only really known three people in your entire life. Four, if you counted the boy with the lopsided grin you could never remember the face of. “I’m (name). (name) Smith.”

          “Nice to meet ya, (name).” he grinned. You couldn’t help but smile too. Is this how all people are on the surface?  And do all males here look strangely..horse faced? You thought. “So, if you really are new to Trost, where are you actually from?”

          Reluctant to tell him you came from the Underground, you decided to change the subject. “Hey, I never properly thanked you for saving me, so thanks.”

          He rolled his eyes. “Whatever. I’m not an idiot, you know. Are you a criminal or something?”

           “Or something.”  You told him, clicking your tongue. You don’t know the half of it, Kirschtein.

          “Fine then. Don’t tell me. I should probably go, anyway. My mom should be home from work soon.” He began, walking away.

        “Wait!”  You hurriedly grabbed his wrist, unfortunately with the wrong arm, and hissed because of the pain. He glanced at the cut, and you immediately retracted your arm. “I wanted to ask for directions…”