Chapter 5: Before the Fall Part 3

JEAN

         Jean’s eyes fluttered open, and he found himself staring upwards at a wooden ceiling, his body lying on a soft surface. I’m..back at Trost…? Where’s (name)…?

          Suddenly, his mind recalled the events of yesterday, from the promise to the shooting, but most importantly, how he ran away. Like a coward.

          Please never leave her side...

          Tears began to fall uncontrollably from Jean’s eyes, remembering the promise he had made to the pink-haired female. It’s my fault she’s dead. I provoked her…I caused her to run, and now she’s dead!He told himself over and over as he continued to bawl. He didn’t even notice his mother coming inside his room, engulfing him in her arms.

          “Shh, it’s okay, Jean-boy...”

          “It’s not okay! She’s dead, mom..she’s dead!” he continued to bawl. He told his mother everything right then, words pouring out of his mouth. From the minute they met, to the point where he let them become separated. She continued to soothe him, rubbing his back softly until she pulled away to look at his golden orbs.

          “Jean-boy,” she started. “I know how you must be feeling right now; to lose someone you greatly cared for. But, do you think that she would want to see you like this? Even though I’ve only spoken to her once, I could tell she was a strong person, and she would want you to be the same for her. She will always be with you, Jean-boy. She will always be watching over you. So do not mourn, my dear son. Continue to live..for her.”

          Jean looked at his mother in admiration as she said those words. He clenched his fists and wiped the tears away. As of this day, he would never let himself cry again. He wanted to become stronger. His thoughts were interrupted as his mother placed something in his hand.

          “You were holding it when I found you,” she whispered. “I figured..that you would want to keep it.”

          He looked at the silver bracelet that was placed on his right hand. She must have given in to me before she left as a remembrance. He realized. He put it on, and looked at it with determination glowing in his eyes.  

          I will try to be strong…for you.

READER

         You woke up gasping for air, your hands grasping your bruised stomach to already find it tightly bandaged.  “I’m…alive?” you whispered, looking at your surroundings. You were inside a small room that you’ve never seen before, its wooden interior giving it a cozy feeling.

          You slipped out of the bed you were tucked into earlier, clenching your fists. Where am I? Was I saved? What happened to Jean? You wondered, your brows furrowing in concern for your friend. You opened the door of the room cautiously, hoping to find some answers outside, but before you could even take another step you accidentally bumped into someone, making your bruised stomach flare up with pain. Ignoring your injury, you gave a roundhouse kick to the person who bumped into you and pinned them down, mouth set into a snarl, your (h/c) hair falling in front of your face.

          “Who are you and why am I here?!” you demanded, your grip on the boy’s wrists tightening.

          “E-Eren Jaeger!” The brunette told you, trying to free himself from your strong grip. “My friends and I found you about to be shot on the street! You were injured, so we brought you here!” he answered, his turquoise eyes looking at your (e/c) hues in sincerity.