Chapter 1

Warning: This Chapter contains scenes of violence/abuse during the second paragraph after the dream.

I laughed as my mother chased me and my sister around the yard. My father smiling and taking pictures. We were a happy family. Mom looked just like she did when I was little, not a thing changed. Her long straight brown hair flying in the wind. But I could feel in my gut that something wasn't right. I saw the smoke in the distance and screamed.

I woke up from the dream tears running down my cheeks. I remembered that she wasn't here. My sister never was able to meet our mom. We wern't a happy family. I looked at the boarded window in my room. I walk out of my room going to the kitchen. I got out the eggs and bacon, immediately making breakfast.

"You woke up late." I heard my father slur. He was a terrible excuse for a father and a wizard. I shuddered. "I'm sorry father. Would you like something to drink?" I asked. I heard him get up. "No. Where is your sister?" He asked. "I woke up late so I haven't woke her up yet." I said cracking an egg. "I swear if she doesn't wake up right n-" he started. "I woke up late. It's my fault." I interrupted. "Lucinda, did you just interrupt me?" My father voice rose. I looked further away still cooking. "Answer me." He slurred agitated. "Yes sir." I said quietly. "What?" He asked. "I said, yes sir." I answered louder. I heard him take out his wand and flick it at me. I screamed. It felt like a whip across my back. I saw my sister looking around the corner. My screams probably waking her. The last strike my hand slipped onto the hot burner. I quickly remove it but it still hurt. "Do you understand why I do this sweetheart? I don't want you to be weak. The world is a scary place, and one day you'll be out there alone. You won't survive if you're weak." My father said, his voice calmer. I made the plates of food and gave one to him before grabbing an ice pack for my hand. "I understand." I said. I didn't really think the world was that bad. Of what I remember of my mom, she was nice and when we were outside, the world was nice. My sister chose that time to walk in. I gave her a plate and we went to sit down.

After breakfast I immediately went to dishes. Bellatrix came over to teach my sister. She was like an aunt to us. She was my teacher, up until this year. Both her and dad say that I don't need her anymore because I'll be going to a wizard school next. I knew I had magic, because I used some simple spells to do the dishes and other chores. Mostly it's levitation spells but they had to be ones I could use without a wand. After dishes I went to get the mail. There was bills and a fancy letter with my name on it. I went to my father as he sat watching tv. Giving him the mail. I walking away until I heard him yell. I ran in and he had the happiest look on his face. "You've been invited to Hogwarts." He said as Bellatrix and Callie ran into the room. Bellatrix looked ecstatic. She gave me a hug and turned to my father. "With both her and my nephew in there everything will go right." She said. I was confused. They were jumping around and celebrating making no sense as they talked and yelled. I slipped out and went to my room.

My sister came in after me. "You don't look to happy." She inquired. "I'm fine." I said looking at her. "No you're not." She said. For an eight year old, she was really stubborn. I sat down on my bed and patted beside me. She slowly sat down next to me. "If I leave. You will have to put up with him on your own, I don't have any social skills and I think dad just wants me to go so that he can use me for information to get a job at the Daily Prophet." I said looking at her. I was scared but looking at her I could see that she wasn't worried at all. "Sis, because of our father's drinking problem, they arn't giving him the job, and I'll be fine. Bellatrix will still be coming over here, so that will keep me away from him for a little bit. As for your social issues, you'll be fine, just talk to people or don't talk to people, remember how you used to talk to strangers before all this." She said gesturing at the blocked window and many locks on the door. I smiled at her, she looked at life optimistically. I could see the issues and problems while she could find answers. Tomarrow we were going to Diagon Alley.