Chapter 8

"So let me get this straight. Quidditch is a very dangerous game of soccer on brooms except there are three goals on each side and one player, the Seeker, has to try to find this golden snitch thingy which is really just ball flying around really fast and catch it before the other team's Seeker, I think I got it now." I said. They stared at me blankly. "I guess you guys don't know what soccer is, huh?" I asked. They nodded their heads simutaniously. "Watch a video of it at some point. It's the best muggle thing you'll ever find." I said. Soccer was really my favorite game ever.

I got up to go get dressed since it was almost eight o'clock and I still needed to eat and give October, the barn owl, my letter to my sister. Quickly I got dressed and grabbed the letter running out of my room with my stuff. On the way out I saw Draco and waved at him. He waved back, then turned to Pansy who was fawning over him again. I walked quickly to the owlery. I didn't want to miss breakfast especially since I needed to bring more lettuce back to the dorm to feed Oreo before my first class, which today was charms with Flitwick. In the owlery I called for October. I put the note around her ankle and told her where to go while feeding her. Then Draco walked in to send a letter to his father. "Hey snake boy." I greeted sending October off. "Hey snake girl." He greeted back. He looked agitated. "What's wrong Malfoy?" I asked. "Nothing. It just turns out that you made the Quidditch team." He said not looking up. "What?" I asked surprised. "Yeah, turns out Flint needed a new keeper and Blaise just so happened to tell him about your "great blocking abilities" after you left this morning." Draco said. Each word sounded sharper and sharper. "I'm sorry Draco. I know how much you wanted to get on the team." I apologized softly. Something about Draco being mad made me feel guilty. Normally I wouldn't care but he just makes me feel so terrible. "That's probably why you did it. Because you wanted to rub it in my face that you were better than me." Now he sounded crazy. "Look, I don't know what your talking about. I had no intentions of this, Malfoy." I said clearly mad that he would even accuse me of such a thing. Afterwards I grabbed my stuff and walked out, running to get to breakfast before the first bell rang. When I made it to the Great Hall I just grabbed a waffle and some lettuce, then ran to the dorms to feed October while eating the waffle.

In charms, I sat away from Draco. We had this class with the Hufflepuffs so I sat with a group of them. I didn't know or talk to them though. "Remember to use the flick swish method while while summoning and banishing your feather." Professer Flitwick said. He was a stubby, short old man. Today we were learning how to summon "accio." And banish. "Depulso." I could hear kids trying to summon a feather. Professer Flitwick put enough for all of us on a table at the front. I took a deep breath and pointed my wand at the table. Looking at Draco, I saw which one he was focusing on. This is what the git deserves. As soon as the feather started towards him. "Accio!" I yelled and the feather shot over to me. He looked disappointed until he saw where it went and scowled at me. I grinned in response before saying "Depulso!" And it flying over to Malfoy. "W-well done Riddle. You remind me of your father. Very strong, he was." Flitwick said. I smiled at the comparison between me and my father. I knew he was a strong wizard when he wanted to be so the praise was greatly appreciated.

Today was also my first Quidditch practice. Right after classes I was to report to the field. On my way there I saw Blaise walking with Pansy, she looked upset. "Parkinson. What's up?" I asked. "Draco blew up at her a few minutes ago. Saying that he'd never love her and she should stop forcing it." Blaise explained. "I don't know what his deal is lately but it's getting tiring." He said. Pansy just kept weeping. "I'll talk to him later. He can be mad at me all he wants but he needs to cool it before he's the one regretting ever living." I said. I knew what had him in a twist. He was pouting that I made the team and couldn't get over it. Pansy was annoying, sure. But that was no excuse.

I walked on the field and saw the rest of the team. They were all older and there was no other girl. I guess I'll have to make do with the teasing by myself. "Wait. This is the new keeper?" I guy with black hair said. "Adrian this is Lucinda, a very talented first year." Flint said. He was unusually nice while doing introductions. "Adrian" scoffed. "You're going to be thanking me when we win and the other team has nothing." I said glaring at Adrian. "As I was gonna say. Riddle this is the rest of the team." Flint finished.