Chapter 1

Twenty-one years ago today, I, Eve Marie Bailey, was the last baby at Mount Sinai Hospital to be born before the New Year.

My parents tried desperately to keep me in the five minutes it would have taken for that big beautiful ball in Times Square to descend, but there I was, frightened even then by the thought of a grand entrance and content to snuggle close and quiet while the rest of the world sang Auld Lang Syne.

Twenty-one New Year's Eve later, and I was still the same girl. But that was all about to change.

I stumbled out a door in the back of the club marked with a glowing red exit sign, desperate for the bitter cold of a New York December.

My heart was racing with equal parts fear and euphoria. Tonight I wasn't intelligent, quiet, 'never been kissed' Eve.

No, no.

Tonight I was; probably-going-to-make-some-stupid-decisions, slightly -intoxicated,  probably...maybe...hopefully...highly-kissable-Eve.

I looked down at the tight, cropped sweater and pleather mini-skirt. The outfit was so far out of my normal realm of possibilities that I might as well have boarded a spacecraft and traveled to a distant planet.

I felt alien but strangely excited.

Having settled my nerves a bit and frankly, freezing my ass off, I pulled the door handle, intent on regrouping with Sarah and Amy, then finding a stranger to complete my New Years' resolution.

Only, It didn't budge.

Crap!

I banged, but I could hear the music pulsing through the thick metal door and knew there was no way anyone inside would hear my fruitless attempts.

Think Eve, think.

I started down the alley. My wallet with my ID and cell were in Amy's bag, but the guys at the door had to remember me. Had to at least let me in long enough to finish my task and get my stuff. Right?

I had just made it to the street when I heard it.

The line still snaking around the club began to chant.

"10, 9..."

I looked towards the bouncer. It was too late. I wouldn't have a chance to explain my stupidity, let alone get my New Years' kiss.

Stricken, I took two steps back and leaned against the cold brick wall. I could feel the blood draining from my face and tears welling in my eyes.

"6,5..."

A tall figure stopped in front of me, blocking the city luminesces, casting me in shadow. My eyes traveled up black jeans. Up a fitted black t-shirt exposed by an open leather jacket. Up the strong column of his tattooed throat that bobbed as he swallowed. Past his defined jaw and up to the most beautiful face I've ever seen on a man.

He couldn't have been much older than me, maybe in his late twenties. His dark eyebrows, the same color as his thick hair, knitted together as he looked down at me.

"Are you ok?"

"3,2..."

I don't know what came over me.

I gripped the leather of his jacket, velvety from wear, warm from his body heat, and with shaking fingers, pulled him down so I could reach his lips.

I went slowly enough for him to realize what was happening, and for his look of concern for the cold, teary-eyed girl to melt away, revealing a devilish, knowing smirk.

The countdown ended, cheers ringing through the air. I hesitated close enough that warm, minty breath mingled with mine, and this new, strange intimacy sent a shiver down my spine.

"I've never," my voice wavered. "I mean, it's my first..."

He nodded, his nose almost brushing against mine.

"Then let's make it good."

His lips touched mine, and his arms came around my body, one between my shoulder blades and the other drifting down to the exposed skin on my lower back. His lips were feather soft and warm. I'd never felt anything like it, and my own lips tugged up in the corners as my heart raced.

I was about to pull away when he put his teeth on my lower lip and squeezed. Not tight enough to hurt, but enough for my virgin mouth to gasp, parting my lips and allowing his tongue to slip inside.

His tongue stroked mine as he pulled me more firmly into his body, his tall frame curled around me.

His evident excitement pressed into my stomach, and both of our breathing became faster, shallower as if the oxygen in our tiny sphere of warmth was fading.

He slowed the kiss, and without thinking, I licked his lips, begging for more. He laughed, deep and husky, resting his forehead against mine.

"Happy New Year," he whispered.

Then he shrugged his jacket off, put it around my trembling shoulders, and walked away.

**********

Guys, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret.

We like bad boys.

We like the little V in your forehead when you frown, and we like it even more when you smile just for us.

We like every single part of your hard body. Don't believe me?

Roll up your sleeves boys, you don't even realize how hot something as simple as your forearms are. Are they covered in tattoos? Even better...

Getting hot yet?

We haven't even started.

So put your phone on vibrate, and enjoy the ride.

Oh! And please VOTE... But only if you want ;)

xxx Bre