Chapter 28

We descended a few steps before Mason sat down, patting the spot beside him. "How much time do we have?"

I sat, tucking my hands in between my knees trying to keep the heat from leaving them too soon. "Less than ten minutes." Definitely less if Ethan drove like he normally did.

"Ok," he nodded, pressing the heel of his hands to his eyes before scrubbing them over his head. "The abridged version then..."

"We don't have very many parties here," he said. "Just one big blowout at the end of the season actually." He looked away, watching the cars zip down the one way street. "Last years party was especially big. We had at least two hundred people in there. Most of them I didn't even know."

I'd never seen mason look so destroyed. I reached a hand out, grabbing his for comfort as I silently urged him to continue.

He sighed. "At some point, someone spilled a cup of liquor on me. I went upstairs to change my shirt. I was so fucking drunk, and the room was dark. It wasn't until I flipped on the bedside lamp that I realized someone was in my bed..."

I lifted my eyebrow waiting for him to continue.

"A girl was passed out on her stomach with her skirt shoved up around her waist... and her underwear was ripped, hanging off one leg."

"Oh my god!"

"I tried to wake her, I thought she was fucking dead for a second... but she finally came to, hitting me and screaming her head off until a crowd gathered at the door." He shook his head at the memory. "Thankfully, we got her calmed down enough to talk. I tried to take her to the hospital, but she refused. Hell, I even tried to call the cops, but McKenzie begged me not too."

The name was familiar, but it took me a second to place it. Then I remembered the bright, beautiful girl I met briefly. "Ethans friend... Mac... And he thinks you did it." I sat stunned, and numb for reasons other than the chill in the air.

"Yes...But I didn't. I would never...I have people who saw me at the party the whole time..." He stared at me, willing me to believe him.

I felt terrible for Mac, but I didn't doubt his words for a second. The wind picked up and I squeezed his hand once before letting it go, tucking my hands back between my knees. "I'm sorry you had to go through that Mason."

A gust of air left his mouth. I didn't realize how much he dreaded telling me until I saw the relief roll off him like a wave crashing over the sand and slipping away through a million tiny grains of sand. "Thank you," he breathed.

My mind flitted back to Mac's easy smile. "Did she ever get help?"

He shook his head. "I don't think so. She started hanging out with York more, and then York beat the shit out of me-"

"What!"

He sighed. "Yeah. Called me a fucking rapist and laid me out. My dad was afraid he was going to fuck up my chances of getting drafted with the NHL, so he filed a restraining order and an injunction against him. I had the restraining order lifted at the beginning of the year because Mac told me she'd finally convinced him I had nothin to do with it... but I think he'll always be leery of me now - especially with you."

"With me?"

Mason nodded. "He seems... different with you. Just be carful."

My spine straightened. "What do you mean, be carful?" I heard a car rev it's engine, and the sleek Volvo hit its breaks in front of us. I jumped up before Ethan had a chance to get out of the car.

Mason stared into the blacked out window as if he could see the person on the other side. His jaw was tight and I imagined Ethan was wearing a similar expression. "He's not the only one with a bad feeling."

***

"Hi," I slid into the car as Ethan stared straight ahead - knuckles white with blood loss as if he had to physically keep himself from getting out of the car.

He pulled away from the curb, and didn't let himself relax until we'd put a couple blocks between us and his bitter memories.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I didn't know about your history with Mason."

It seemed like he had to physically shake himself awake before he could talk to me. Even then, it was still cold and curt. "No, I'm sorry." He changed lanes as we zipped further into the city. "This whole things a fucking mess."

"It is... but it's not your fault."

I couldn't place where we were going. The buildings grew taller and all of the glass reflected the city back on itself, creating infinite possibilities. "Where are we going?"

"The penthouse."

"I thought you said there was paparazzi?"

"Yes... but we'll also have security there."

"We?" I squeaked.

He glanced at me, still unsmiling. "I'm sorry you got caught up in this disaster, but I'm not going to let what happened today, happen again. I want you to stay with me until this blows over." He reached over, running his thumb over my cheek.

"You should probably miss school the rest of the week too but," his lips finally quirked up.  "don't worry, I promise I'll keep you entertained."

**********

Hi my loves!

Every time the plot takes large steps forward, the writing gets really hard. I'm so encouraged by all of your comments though! You keep me on track.

Also, Tempting Eve is still on the hot list at #3, just under Anna Todd's After. I couldn't be more thankful to everyone who's read, comment and voted. You guys are the sweetest!

I hope you all have the best night/day.
xxxBrr