Chapter 20

*This ones dedicated to... all of you.

**********

I slid out of the car, running my hands down the fabric of the royal blue dress - a classy, figure hugging thing that ended just below my knees. It was one of Sarah's press junket dress's that she'd loaned me after I had a momentary panic attack in front of my closet over an hour ago.

I'd felt appropriately dressed, pretty even, before we arrived, but one look at the couples making their way inside had me second guessing myself, as if I had arrived at some sort of black tie event instead of a memorial for someone's grandad.

Ethan closed the door behind me, reading my mind. "You look beautiful Eve... although I would have liked it more if you'd worn my jacket." His lips quirked. "Well, your jacket now I suppose."

Half-smile Ethan was my favorite, and if I thought he was handsome before, Ethan York in a dark, fitted suit was a whole other level of gorgeous. His hair, always cut severely short at the sides, but tousled on top, was slicked back, somehow making his sharp cheekbones and jawline stand out even more... and his soft lips that more kissable for it.

Gah! Funeral Eve. We're at a funeral, pull yourself together.

He took my hand, leading me up a dozen perfectly laid brick steps and I smiled. "So you said earlier, but I think you would have been the only one who appreciated it. This doesn't look like a leather jacket crowd."

The couple in front of us entered, and the door softly shut while we still stood in the crisp afternoon air. He brought our joined hands to his mouth and brushed his lips along my knuckles. "Good thing I'm the only one that matters then." He winked to let me know he was joking, but my legs, not to mention my heart, felt unsteady and I stumbled a bit in my heels.

"Come on clumsy," he chuckled. "Let's get this shit show over with."

He pushed the door open and we stepped through. The foyer was filled with the mingling elite of New York - most of whom paused their conversations for a second when their eyes swept over Ethan. If the not so subtle stares bothered him, he didn't show it - sliding my long coat off my shoulders and handing it to a man near the door. He leaned down to whisper in my ear. "Just remember. These are not people... they're wolves."

I nodded as we entered the room, my hand still clutched tightly in his. Everything was dark wood, from the floors to the paneled walls. A chandelier hung from the ceiling that looked like it was made out of hundreds of golden leafs, blown together by an autumn breeze. My eyes traveled up farther, and the ceiling - wow - I felt like I was seeing a smaller, more intimate version of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel. I tried to make sure my mouth wasn't gaping as I walked through the room with my head tilted back.

"Eve?"

I startled. "Dad?" He and Elizabeth stood in front of us, hand in hand, but Elizabeth quickly broke off to wrap her arms around me.

"It's so, so nice to see you again." She released me, but held me at arms length a second longer before turning to her son and giving him a hug as well.

"I -" I wasn't quite sure what to say. "I'm sorry for your loss."

"Thank you. And thank you for coming with Ethan. We could use another friendly face in this crowd."

I nodded, feeling eyes on us, as if they were dissecting our every move.

I hadn't even realized he was still holding it, until Ethan let go of my hand and reached out to my dad. "Thank you for brining my mom, Adam. I told her not to come, but she insisted."