Chapter 21

"Is my bitch of an ex wife here too?"

I could feel Ethan's body coil like a spring, ready to explode, so I threw my arms around him. "Please, don't," I begged into his back. I'd seen first hand what he could do with his fist when he was fighting his friend in the ring at Cal's and I was afraid he'd kill the smug man in front of us - whether he deserved it or not.

Ethan pointed his finger at Frank, shaking me off. "You speak about her like that again and you're fucking dead. You hear me?"

Frank either had a death wish, or thought he was invincible. Probably the latter. He smiled, taking a long pull from his glass. "Go ahead, it wouldn't be the first time you've spent time behind bars for assault, would it?" He swirled the liquid around. "And my fathers not around to protect you anymore."

Ethan gritted his teeth. "That's real rich coming from a wife beater."

Oh my god. Elizabeth. That bastard!

I stepped away from the paneled wall, beside Ethan who was shaking with anger.

Franks eyes shifted to me. Taking my measure.
"She looks like a nice girl. Does she know -"

"Ethan, take Eve home." My dad walked up from behind us, putting himself between me and the snake of a man who was Ethan's dad. "I already sent your mom to the car, we don't need to be here for this bullshit. And you-" he pointed at Frank, just like Ethan had done moments before. "I know all about you, you piece of shit. If you lay a finger on anyone in my family, Ethan won't have to get his hands dirty, because I'll kill you myself."

***

The gathering crowd parted like the Red Sea as the three of us strolled through at a clipped pace. Ethan pulled me along, his head held high, like he owned the place... something about the argument a couple seconds ago made me think that just might be true.

My dads nose was turned up at them too as he wrenched the door open for us. We stepped through, continuing down the steps until we hit the old-fashioned pebbled driveway.

"Dad." He stopped, turning to face me, eyes wild.

I pulled out of Ethan's grasp and stepped up to him. "Thank you," I said, putting my arms around him. Hugging him for the first time in my memory. I had my reasons to be angry with him, but they didn't seem to match the man in front of me.

He finally put his arms around me and squeezed me back. "Come see me soon? I think we have some stuff to talk about."

I stepped back, wiping an escaped tear. "Ok."

Ethan pulled me back to him, rubbing my shoulder. "Tell my mom I'll call her later."

My dad nodded. "I will," then he turned and continued down the drive.

"Come on, the cars over here," Ethan gritted, still vibrating pure energy. He walked to a stand where a young man in another penguin suit handed him his key, then we crossed the lawn; Ethan practically dragging me over the crunching grass, passed the fountain and to his car parked on the other side of the long roundabout.

He opened my door and I managed to slide in moments before he slammed it shut. Ethan was ready to explode.

He got in running his hands through his hair. Some of it escaped its hold and slipped down in his face, just barley covering one eye.

"Fuck!" He punched the steering wheel. "Fuck!" He hit it again. Over and over, swelling his knuckles. I slid over as far as the car would allow. I wasn't scared of him, but...

When he finally stopped, his chest was rising and falling so fast, it looked like he was desperate for air, like the pain of losing his grandfather and the confrontation with his dad was somehow suffocating him.