Chapter 18

***Hey guys! Thank you so much for your patience while I took a few days off to get better. The biggest problem I faced when I finally sat down to write, was a massive case of writers block!!! So be forewarned that this is one of those chapters that will  just have to get fixed and polished when I sit down for a rewrite, but I hope you like it anyway. ❤️

PS. Love it or hate it. I still want to see your comments ;) xxx

**********

~ Ethan ~

"I need to talk to you about that night."

Mac's easy smile disappeared. Her glass of wine hovering half way between her lips and my countertop. "You promised York. You promised I'd never have to talk about it again if I tried things your way."

I rubbed the back of my neck, feeling like an ass for putting my own agenda above her continued mental health, but fuck, I couldn't let it happen again. Especially to someone I cared about.

"They're friends McKenzie."

She didn't even have to think about it, setting her glass of wine back down and raising one perfectly manicured eyebrow. "By they, I'm assuming you mean Your Eve, and Mason."

"She's not my Eve... but yes."

"God, for a Genius, you think you'd be smarter."

I grabbed another beer from the fridge. This conversation was going about as well as I assumed it would and I needed something a hell of a lot stronger. Another tattoo maybe, or a few rounds with Paul. "You know I can't date anyone. Not during... not while I'm... working on this dissertation."

She rolled her eyes. "I get it. If you need to stop, I completely understand. Sometimes you have to look out for yourself York. You can't always be everyone else's hero."

"I'm nobody's hero Mac." I felt the need to start pacing like I did when I was a kid, but shoved it down in my pit of control. The one that had shattered the moment a certain brown haired, freckle faced girl threatened to let another man touch her. "And I'm not letting you down, but I need to know she's safe. That you both are."

I could see her resolve slipping along with the mask she'd perfected since the incident. The one that I was hoping was more real than artificial these days. "I still don't remember much, but I know it wasn't him."

"But he was there when you woke up," I said a little more firmly than I'd intended.

She didn't flinch though. "He was. And I was out of it, so I panicked. But someone who rapes you doesn't try to take you to a hospital and doesn't try to convince you to go to the police a few days afterwards. I was in a frat house, during a party, for Christ sake. It could have been anyone."

"It was his room," I growled.

She put her hand over my shaking one as she  took a deep calming breath. "I'm asking you for the last time... to believe me. Someone did this to me, but it wasn't him. I promise. Don't let two innocent people get hurt by what happened."

"Ok, Mac," I nodded reluctantly. "I'll let it go."

"You'd better," she said, looking me squarely in the eyes. "If you go against the injunction his dad put on you, you can kiss your Ph.D goodbye."

***

I watched from the middle of the room as she hurried down the aisle and slid into her normal seat, avoiding eye contact with me as the asshole himself leaned near her ear to whisper something. She smiled, shaking her head, and I could have sworn she mouthed something like I'm sorry.

Fuck that.

"Thank you for joining us Ms. Bailey. Glad you could squeeze me into your tight schedule. I know how hard it must be to come on time."

Her face flamed at the innuendos, and she looked genuinely pissed, but I got her attention, so mission fucking accomplished.

"Now, if everyone is done with personal conversations and ready to pay attention, I'd like you to pull out your arguments from last weeks discussion."

The class collectively moved, gathering their papers or opening laptops and I glanced up, trying to read today's shirt. Reading has raised my expectations of men to an unhealthy standard.

I tried to cover my chuckle with a cough, but she was already looking at me with a deep scowl on her small features. I dipped my eyes to her shirt and back, winking. My performance on Saturday better have raised the bar even further.

Masons eyes darted between us, and part of me wanted to just lay it all out right there. As if he sensed what I was thinking, he slid his arm around the back of her seat and leaned in to speak to her again; his lips practically touched her hair while his eyes never left mine. I snapped. "Mr. Hawk, are you going to be able to focus, or should I give you a new partner?"

Mason leaned back. He had his resident good-boy smirk on his face, but behind it I saw his blood boiling. "I'm sorry for the interruption. Please continue your fascinating lesson plan Ethan."

If I thought Eve was upset before, she was livid now. And possibly on the verge of tears.

Too bad. I continued.

Last week I asked you if you would have chosen me as your partner, based on society's views of-"

Eve's hand shot up and I smiled. "Yes, Ms. Bailey?"

"I wouldn't have picked you."

"Fair enough," I smirked. "And why is that?"

"Because you're an arrogant ass." She shoved her laptop in her bag, pulled my leather jacket around her shoulders and stomped up the stairs and through the door.

"Well," I said, gritting my teeth. "That's one opinion."

**********

Happy Valentines' Day you lovelies!!!

If that chapter was as painful for you to read, as it was for me to write, then I apologize. But I'll shake this block soon, I promise!

On another note. Who watched the 'After' trailer release today?!?! I thought it was amazing. What do you guys think?

I'm so happy to still have you guys with me. A couple more days and you'll have Tempting Eve at 4K reads! Thank you millions.

Enough rambling.

With love always,

xxxBre