Chapter 6

Chapter 6

In the ten years I've known and lived next to Nate, I have grown to love his quirks and weird tendencies. Don't get me wrong, some of them are still a little bit of a surprise to me – not much surprises me either – but Nate's latest fetish...I don't know how to put this.

I've lived beside Nate for ten years when my family and I moved here from New York. I was the quiet little girl-next door, and at seven years old, Nate took me under his wing. You see, Nate used to be much different than to how he is now. Sure, ten years does a person a lot of difference – I would know – but Nate's was a miracle.

I like to call his transformation the butterfly effect. One small, but drastic change, transformed Nate from a caterpillar to a beautiful butterfly. Probably not beautiful, he would kill me for calling him that (he likes to think he's extremely masculine – which he is, but I like to tease him about it). Nate was your awkward nerd. At seven years old, Nate was destined to go to Harvard, maybe even graduate early, until everything changed.

He lost the lanky legs and arms (he didn't need glasses, don't be so stereotypical gosh) and at fifteen, he became a ladies man. Of course, I never thought of him like that, and never will. Once you know Nate's fetishes, it's kind of hard to see yourself in a relationship to him. He's practically a brother.

I guess that's how I got the name as one of the boys. I hung around all Nate's friends, mingled with very few girls, and never went shopping to spontaneously try on dresses or anything. I was just Nova, the girl-next-door who could belch the alphabet backwards and wasn't scared of bugs. I played football with the guys (and trust me, they didn't back off one bit) and I became accustomed to the way guys lived their lives. I wore Nate's shirts (platonic, again) and never dated.

Well, I did date once, but let's not even go there.

The point of this little internal monologue? Well, I knew there was something fishy when I turned up to my house at approximately three pm in the afternoon with Tyler and Austin by my side, to hear a certain person upstairs...screaming. As much as I love Nate (as a friend), I won't hold myself back from making fun of his scream. It's so girly and cute.

Don't tell him I said that. I would be dead.

You know how I said he had weird fetishes? Yeah, well I think I just discovered another one. Tyler, Austin and I crept up the stairs as silently as possible. Thankfully our stairs don't squeak, so we were good to go. Up until monkey face, aka Tyler, tripped on a rug in the hallway and nearly knocked a vase off from a table. The idiot, surprisingly, didn't alarm Nate. I don't know how he did it, but if he ruins this he is dead.

I grabbed out my phone and swiped upwards for the camera. Austin looked at me with confusion and I showed him that I was videoing. He nodded his head in understanding and we kept tiptoeing to my room, which Nate is in.

I couldn't miss the chance to video what could be the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. I held my phone out in front of me, Nate's screaming was all that could be heard.

"God damnit Whitney," he roared. I had to hold back the giggles that were ready to explode. "Jump it! Jump it you ass! Whitney, oh my fucking god!"

Austin and Tyler had the same thoughts as me. They had their hands cupped over their mouths to stop the laughter that was about to explode. Austin's face is bright red from holding the laughter in, while Tyler is breathing like a walrus. I pointed the camera into the room so that Austin, Tyler and I could all watch what Nate was doing without having to stick our heads through the door.

The video camera made the screen slightly blurry, but I could just make out a figure in the shape of a horse covered in pink.

Oh god.