Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Detention was a drag. I mean, when is it ever fun? Tyler and I took separate seats on either side of the room, not even murmuring hello or anything. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, it's not like there was many people in detention which we had to prove anything to – so he practically ignored me.

Oh, well.

I do admit, it was kind of weird not talking to him. I'd gotten accustomed to it these few days, but god help me; it kind of turned into a routine to talk to him. I guess it was kind of a requirement since we are in a relationship – fake or not – because we still have to prove to the other guys that I, Nova Lockheart, am bangable.

Yeah, okay, that's a little weird. But, Nate suggested it so I'm just going along with it. I guess it's kind of true in a way. I am only doing this to prove to the guys that I am desirable. But heck, Tyler is my boyfriend. Yeah, he doesn't date, and the fact that we are arch enemies may also add to it – but still, it's not him that we are convincing.

I know for a fact that Nate calls me a guy sometimes. But, it's not Nate that I have to convince. Nate is as much as a brother to me than Austin is, so why bother?

The football team on the other hand. Yeah, that's another story. Being friends with them means that I usually spend time over at their houses – with Nate and Emily, of course. I don't go anywhere without them – and one thing leads to another and we're watching reruns of football games on the couch of their living rooms.

Mind you, I'm not a true supporter of football, I just like playing it. I go to every game – unless I have work and can't come – to support Nate and the rest of the guys, but I don't exactly enjoy watching it. The guys, however, think that I'm football crazed. That may as well add to the fact that they think I'm a guy.

They interpret me in a way of a sister. I'm like their little sister who they constantly tease, bicker with and make fun of, all playfully though. The one that you have the Bro/Sister Code with so that they don't date your best friend? Yeah, that's the kind of boys my friends are.

Tyler's never really been like that before, though. He doesn't treat me like a little sister – heck, if he was saying those things to his little sister, gosh help me – and he sure as hell never used to see me as anything other than Nate's annoying best friend. I can't really talk, because I despised him equally as much as he did.

Which brings me to where I am now.

I have work in just under an hour with Emily (we work together at a Diner just in the middle of town), but I'm too busy scoffing my face with food.

Emily had been going on for the last hour about how 'cute' Tyler and I are. On the contrary, I'm just sitting with my food, shooting Emily a pointed look of 'are you serious' every now and again. Gosh, this girl just doesn't stop.

"Are you sure you still want to change?" Emily questions with her fork raised to her mouth.

I choke on my Easy Mac, "What are you talking about?"

"Nothing," she waves it off nonchalantly. But, being her best friend of many years, know something is fishy.

I don't push on it any further though, because I know that sooner or later Emily will tell me a piece of her mind. That's what I love about her. She's down to earth and definitely not afraid to voice her opinion.

I know something is up when Emily goes into a round of silence. Emily is always talking, no matter what. You can tell she's the outgoing and talkative type just by looking at her. Her naturally honey blonde hair is cropped at her shoulders, the tips a bright shade of blue. It was a spontaneous decision to dye her hair. At the time, Emily was going through an I-need-change phase, and she demanded I dye her hair. I'm no hairdresser, but I still think it looked absolutely amazing with her vibrant dark blue eyes and pale skin.