Chapter 20

Chapter 20

               Ever  since I made friends with Emily Jaeger, I knew we would be inseparable.  Funny how I say that, because that's what pretty much every middle  schooler used to say about their friends. We would call them our best  friends forever and ever, and we would claim that we are practically  twins, but in the long run we just drift apart. That didn't happen with  Emily and I. In fact, our friendship probably even became stronger.

                Ten  years later, and Emily and I are still going strong. Yeah, we have our  fights every now and again, but she's my best friend and I know that at  the end of the day, I can rely on her one hundred percent.

                But relying on Emily dying my hair?

                No way.

                I love  Emily and all, and even though Emily is an aspiring hairdresser, my hair  is one of my favourite features. It can't be tamed; I call it,  forever associating it with Miley Cyrus' song. Emily has dyed it  before, mainly just a subtle ombre, which I was perfectly fine with, but  her latest 'phase' has me questioning if I should let her loose.

                Emily  likes going through phases. The tie dye phase, the slight-emo phase, the  ombre phase, the fluffy sweater phase, the dip dye phase, the  vegetarian phase and the strictly chicken nugget phase. I could list  more, but it would be a never ending list, due to Emily's fascination  with trying something new. I, on the other hand, like to stick with the  same boring old schedule.

                I like  waking up at the same time every morning, with the same routine, eating  the same flavour of pop tarts and going to bed around the same time  every school night. Anything out of routine would feel . . . odd, while  Emily enjoys the feeling of being 'out of place'.

                I will never understand my best friend.

                Any who,  Emily's latest phase happens to include hair dye—and lots of it. One  look at the bag in her hands, and I felt like hiding in a hole and never  coming out. Not that I don't trust Emily to dye hair—she did an  apprenticeship so she knows how to—it's just that I like having the  boring, dull sun-bleached brown hair I was born with.

                Emily?  An entirely different story. Emily has natural white blonde hair, so she  has never had to bleach it to get any of the colours she's wanted. For  the past few months, Emily had experimented with different colours of  dip-dye. Her latest, most favoured trend would be a bright, turquoise  blue. Not to boast or anything, but I dyed it.

                Of course I would boast about it, I did a pretty good job for a very uncreative person.

                "I was  thinking about going this colour," Emily holds up a tube of lilac  coloured hair dye. My eyes nearly bulge out of their head when I see  that it is labelled 'Permanent'. Emily has only ever done her hair in  semi-permanent so that it would wash out.

                "Permanent?" I choke on my ice cream, "You do realize that it's permanent, as in its going to stay in your hair forever?"

                "Of  course," she rolls her eyes, playing with the tube of dye between her  fingers. "I really like this colour. I think I'm going to dye my whole  head, not just dip dye though."

                I nearly choke on my ice cream again.

                I could  never imagine Emily with purple hair, because it would just look so  foreign and different, but I know that there is no way to stop Emily  from doing something when she has her eyes on it. Just like when she  spontaneously pierces her own ears, or any other crazy thing she has  done in her life. That's a lot of things, I have to add.