Chapter Twenty-Three

This chapter is about to get very heated (and not sexually either. sorry).

And omg the gif, am I right? #Swoon

Chapter Twenty-Three

Luke Hemmings

"Mum, you're smothering me," I groan.

"Oh, stop it, Lucas," she says.

"That's not even my name!"

"I know. I just like to tease you," the aging woman chuckles. "Now go get washed up for dinner. Your father will be home soon."

I oblige, dragging myself up the steps of my childhood (and teen) home. I reach the all too familiar bedroom and plop myself down onto the mattress. This is going to be a long day.

//////

"Mum, stop," Taylor angrily spoke.

My eyes darted back and forth between the two family members. I'd come here a little over an hour ago to pick Taylor up for lunch when her mom invited me in. Unknowingly, I agreed. That was before I knew how much Taylor's mom didn't like me.

"You will not be seeing this b-"

"Get your head out of your ass for once!" Taylor shouted, her arms flailing in the air.

I push my chair back, standing up. "I think I'll just go," I say awkwardly.

At the same time that Mrs. Tuom says, "Goodbye!", Taylor says, "Luke, sit."

I'm constricted between the two, slightly fearing both. I just stood where I was, watching as they went back to bickering and ignoring me.

"He left you as a single, teen mother and-"

"He didn't fucking know, Mum!" Taylor breaths harshly. "That's more than I can say for you when you gave up a baby that wasn't Dad's, you cheating bitch!"

A resounding smack is heard through the dining and kitchen area. I immediately take action, stepping in between the two ladies.

"Mrs. Tuom, coming here and causing a dispute was the last thing on my list of things to do today," I speak calmly.

"So it was on your list then?" she menacingly seethes.

"Mum, I swear to-"

"Taylor will be staying with me for a few days until we can figure out a better accommodation for her. I feel it's my duty to remove her from the premises immediately."

I was unaware I knew such large words, but I guess that's what I get for watching TV so much. You just pick up on that sort of thing.

"Taylor, go pack a back, baby," I say, turning to my brunette lover.

"Luke, I can't-"

"Taylor," I firmly withstand.

She reluctantly climbs the stairs connected to the room, disappearing into a bedroom at the top. I turn back to Mrs. Tuom, having failed to get her name earlier (not that I particularly cared to), and give a curt nod.

"Thank you for lunch, Mrs. Tuom. It was very lovely," I state. "Send Mr. Tuom my best."

"I will do nothing of the sort," she snaps.

"As you wish," I reply.

Taylor bounds down the steps again with a Nike duffel bag and her phone. Her eyes are rimmed red (along with the cheek she was slapped on), proving she'd been crying just upstairs.

"Good afternoon to you, Mrs. Tuom," I politely speak, taking Taylor's hand.

The aging woman heaves no response, only watching as her daughter and lover (myself, quite obviously) disappear out the door.

As I'm driving down the road towards my own house, I rest my hand on Taylor's thigh in a comforting manner. I give it a light squeeze, smiling over at her assuringly.

"Everything's going to be alright," I say.

Taylor clenches her eyes shut tightly, a tear slipping past one of them. My heart shatters at the sight.

"I'm a fuck up," she speaks softly, biting down on her lip to keep from sobbing.

"You are not a fuck up, Taylor," I promise her.

"I'm such a fuck up," she says again.

"Then you're my fuck up."

She releases a heart wrenching sob. "I've lost everything that matters to me."

"You haven't lost me."

"I'm a fucking fuck up," she repeats for a third time.

"We're almost there, baby. Hold it together."

We reach my house in no time. I help carry Taylor's bag inside and give my mum a hard glance telling her not now as I lead my girlfriend up to my bedroom.

Inside the room, Taylor collapses into my chest, crying tears of sorrow and holding onto me for dear life. Maybe Australia wasn't such a good idea on my part.