Chapter 11

Jelina slowly made her way to the guild, having just finished a mission, and after Erik, no Cobra, she needed to keep her mind busy and missions seemed to be the most effective way to so.

Her face was neutral, her emotions kept in check and she made sure she had no scratches on her or even looked out of place. She needed to blend.

When she went in, the guild was busy and loud.

'Easy,' she thought. 'I'll just sneak in and grab a job without getting notice.'

Boy, was she wrong.

"Hey!" a voice called out to her.

Jelina turned and gave him a bored look. "What do you want?"

"To talk," the boy said.

Jelina made sure to keep her emotions down and double checked to make sure her eyes didn't flash a blinding white. Though sometimes her eye colours could go unnoticed, surprise was a easy one to spot.

"About what?" she asked, titling her in confusion, but her eyes were cold and blank.

"You," he said as if it was obvious.

Jelina raised an eyebrow. "Me," she repeated.

"Yes."

Turning, she walked away and rolled her eyes.

Immediately, he grabbed her arm and tugged her to the door.

"Let me go!" she hissed, not wanting to cause a scene. He didn't say anything.

Pulling her along, he came to a river.

"Talk," he said.

"About what?"

"Where you're from, you're family and friends, what magic you use. Man, we don't even know your last name! What about age?!"

"Whose we?" Jelina asked.

"The rest of the guild," he replied, calmly.

"And why didn't they talk to me themself? Why'd they elect you to talk to me?" A memory flashed through her mind. "Gray Fullbuster right?"

His spikey raven-hair deflated and shadowed his black-blue eyes.

Grey's face stayed calm, but Jelina felt the surprise coming off from him. 

Secretly, she felt smug. During the past week when she wasn't working, Jelina's been watching the guild. Closely. She knew everyone's name, magic, history, people they worked well with, even there're deepest, darkest, feelings (Which she didn't mean to feel!).

Including his.

"And your Jelina," Grey said, trying to maintaining the conversation. He sat down, facing the river, away from Jelina. "You know, the guild is nice. You can talk to us you know. That's what family's for. We're here for you."

Jelina looked at him. Life finally seeped into her eyes. But it wasn't joy. It was sadness. A deep, pit of sadness. One that seemed bottomless, and held a world of pain.

Then she did something that surprise even herself.

She sat down next to him.

Grey jumped slightly, but recovered quickly.

"I'm 11," Jelina said quietly.

Grey looked at her, shocked that she anything at all. Then he saw the tears welling up in her eyes and streaming down her face. Pink flushed in his cheeks.

"Did I do something wrong?" he asked, not knowing how to handle this situation. "Did I push to far?"

"No, no it's not that," she replied. "It's just hard for me."