Chapter 28

Chapter 28

The three of them ended up staying in the gardens with Roshan for just a little while longer. After, Lyv found herself arm in arm with her father, walking through the city as everyone opened their shops, pulling back curtains, situating tables, chairs, and colorful umbrellas outside the multiple eateries, and keeping the doors open to let the light and chatter and laughter float inside.

As Lyv's gaze swept everywhere, though she was keeping a close eye on Elys at the same time, everyone immediately recognized her, even with the change in her appearance since the last time she was there. Every few steps they were coming to say hello, give her hugs, and kiss her cheeks. They marveled at the change in her features, but didn't seem hesitant in the slightest.

Some of her favorites to visit was the florist Oliana, who had become a dear friend when Guinevere was on the throne and helped her escape Lyv's guard on more than one occasion. Another was Teszol, the owner of the apothecary where she'd gotten all her supplies when she didn't have her healing magic.

But something had changed with both of their shops. In fact, something had changed through the city of Escarral as a whole. Lyv knew some of the humans throughout the land still possessed the slightest of magic from distant ancestors, but she hadn't expected Oliana and Teszol to be some of them.

When magic had been outlawed decades before, they weren't able to display their talents out in the open. But now, they were. As soon as they stepped foot into Oliana's shop, Lyv felt it all around her, the earthly magic that lovingly coaxed every single one of the plants to grow and thrive. And she got to witness it first hand when they surprised Oliana, who was brushing her fingertips along a bundle of wilted wildflowers, making their colors immediately brighten and bloom even more.

Teszol was the same. Being the owner of the apothecary, everyone had gone to him with their ailments while Lyv was in Dalcaine. Little did they know, he had magic of his own that he used on them indirectly. He had a gift of healing magic, though unlike Lyv's, his was used in the mixing of different tonics and salves and putting extra magic in them to do as he wished for the people he was helping.

"It's changed so much," Lyv whispered as they left the apothecary. She looked up at Bence with a smile. "And this is what you've wanted for forever."

"It's nice that it's finally happened, isn't it?" he grinned, threading her arm back through his before covering her hand with his.

"Magic used freely in Escarral...I never thought I'd see the day," she laughed. "But it really is like a whole different city now. And it feels more like home than ever before."

"That just means you get to come back and visit more often since your home is in Ayveri now. Or are you planning on staying in Asturia?"

Lyv sighed, shaking her head as she looked away and toward where Elys peered into the windows of one shop. "I don't exactly know just yet."

Leaning over, Bence kissed the side of her head. "Of course, you do, my darling."

She didn't really watch where he was taking her then, keeping her eyes cast down at the stone street below her feet. Elys had bounded up to Bence's other side, took his hand, and started asking him all sorts of questions about the city. He happily answered every one of them, even as they reached the doors of their destination.

The Rose Stem Tavern, Jules's place.

Lyv's breath caught in her throat as she looked up at the familiar sign above the door, newly painted and covered in a glossy finish. Since it was still two hours' time until they opened for lunch, no one was inside except for the one person behind the bar and another three back in the kitchens prepping for the coming crowd.