Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Lyv couldn't even muster up the strength to get out of bed the following day, even though she didn't wake up until early afternoon. Not only because her head was pounding and the sunlight coming through her open windows was blinding, but because she realized just how much she'd told Jai the night before and the truth behind it all.

Not that she regretted it, exactly. It was just...she wished she'd had enough courage to tell him sober, just like she told him drunk.

But it was good that she'd gotten it out in the open. Now if she could just stop pushing him away, forgive him, and make that vision of the future she had finally become a reality.

Mother knew Lyv was more than ready for it to be. The only thing in her way was herself.

It was her self-frustration that kept her quiet when she finally left her rooms just in time to go down for dinner. As she walked down the hallway, Jai was headed toward her with Elys in his arms. The little boy was rambling about their day's adventures with Roshan at Fels Lake, which he then recounted to Lyv whenever he saw her and made Jai set him on his feet. She tried to be upbeat, but she knew herself otherwise. Jai seemed to, too.

It wasn't until the next morning that she actually said a few words to the crown prince, but they were just in passing. They'd both rose early, along with Gideon and Thia, since they'd promised Merek the night before they'd be at the guardsmen's morning training. Jai had come prepared with his sword at his side, the one Lyv knew from his time in Escarral before. Merek wanted him to do some of the training, too, and teach the guardsmen anything he could.

Not only that, but it was going to be eventful in general since they were also going out for market day later that afternoon.

Of course, Merek hyped up all the guardsmen even before Lyv stepped into the courtyard, wearing her old tight-fitting shirt and pants for easy movement and her hair was braided back to keep out of her face. Even her dagger was sheathed on her thigh. When she appeared with Jai behind her, all eyes turned toward them. She knew some of the guardsmen's faces, but the others were new. They looked nervous but excited at the prospect of getting to take her on in a fight. Little did they know, though.

They weren't the only ones there, though. Word spread throughout the palace, prompting more to come watch the princess training with the palace guard. Her whole family, including the kids, her parents, and Drue and Jules, who finally escaped Jules's apartment, were all there. Elys ran over to sit himself in Thia's lap as she held out her arms for him. They sat along the edge of the courtyard, waiting in anticipation as they ate the food they brought along for the occasion instead of eating in the kitchens or dining room. Even some of the palace staff had found places along the balcony above them when Lyv looked up.

Two other figures caught her attention, too, and for longer than the others who watched from above. Mostly because they were sitting on the edge of the rooftop high above them, their boots dangling over the side. She couldn't see their faces because of the hoods of their black leather jackets, but she knew it was a female and male just by their body types. It seemed like they were mostly looking at the crowd below like they knew of them all, but then the female grabbed the male's arm, pointing at Elys.

And Elys...well, he saw them, too, looking up with a huge smile before waving.

The two figures went still before the female's head turned in Lyv's direction. When she realized she was looking directly at them, they immediately moved back and out of sight.

Strange.

Shaking her head, she made her way to the sidelines.

"Are you serious?" Lyv questioned, stopping in front of her family. "You all got up this early just to watch this?"