Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Lyv's mind was racing as the world around her was plunged into darkness, dense gray clouds rolling overhead. It had to be none other than Mik using his conduit powers, blanketing all of Ayveri in a strange gray. Allel's sounding roar in her dragon form sent a vibration through the air, rattling Lyv to her very core, especially when Roshan and Erly answered with their own.

Lyv continued to clutch Jai's hand as Elys shivered in tears between them. He was shaking her, too...until she realized he wasn't. Her own body betrayed her fear at what was going to happen, what Elys saw and wasn't able to tell them...

"We have to get him out of here," she whispered, not trusting her own voice to speak any louder. "Elys and Eamon and Laurel...everyone, really. We can't bring this fight into Ayveri, not when there are so many who could get hurt."

But her connection with Jai wouldn't allow her to keep that rush of feelings from him. He read into every one of them – the anger and fear and rage – and his own magic rushed through her, trying to calm and soothe.

Jai leaned forward, pressing his forehead against hers. "I know. You ready to put all that training with your magic to the test now that it's not going to be against me?"

Somehow, with that question, he was able to make her laugh. "Of course...just stay with me, though. I need you by my side, all right?"

Jai reached up, brushing his fingers along her cheek. "Forever."

And with just that one word, a promise cemented into place between them, filling her heart and making her chest ache in the best possible way.

Mother above, did she absolutely love this male...and yet she still couldn't get herself to say the words aloud and finally make him hers.

Soon, though. Especially now with the calm in their world about to be shattered, not knowing what was to come afterward.

Without having to speak, Jai leaned back, pulling Elys from Lyv's arms. The little boy didn't know what was happening at first, not until Jai tucked him against his chest and ran him over to where Laurel was with Eamon. Elys was screaming for Lyv then, pushing against Jai with all his might before reaching for her over his shoulder when he realized Jai wasn't going to budge. Tears continued to stream down his cheeks, eyes wild, voice breaking as yelled at Jai. But he held him tightly, one hand on the back of his head before he turned his face, kissed his cheek, and whispered something in his ear that Lyv didn't have to hear to know exactly what it was.

A broken I love you, kid before he passed him to Laurel.

"Get them back to the palace and somewhere safe," Jai told his sister as Elys continued to struggle, but now in Laurel's arms.

But Lyv couldn't watch the exchange anymore, even had to block out Elys's screams and cries for her and Jai and everyone else as Laurel took him and Eamon away, Posy following closely behind.

So, instead, she focused on who was coming.

Her voice was gone, even though everyone around her was calling out orders of what they should do. Lyv was going to make every decision, though.

Starting with putting up a ward all around the capital city of Ayveri.

Boots pressing down into the sand with every step, Lyv burrowed down deep within herself, pulling up every bit of magic she had flowing through her veins. As she did, her hands lifted in front of her, palms skyward, and began to glow with bright white light. It didn't take long to have enough to form a solid ward around the city, the air around it shimmering and shifting, finally closing right behind Laurel, Elys, and Eamon and cutting off Elys's screams.