Chapter 29

Chapter 29

As soon as Jai's boots hit the floor of their old cottage in the forest, the strangest feeling swept over him. Nostalgia for a simpler life ...even though the inside had changed completely since the last time he was there as the mapmaker named Amory. Now, it looked more like a home than it had ever been. No longer was it empty except for the essentials, but personal belongings were neatly placed all around, paintings were hung on the walls and more books lined the bookcases, and even new structures were built out back for animals and a small garden was still well-tended.

Of course, they weren't Jai's anymore. All of his things had been stashed away out of sight. This had been Bence's home for over a year when Guinevere was sitting on the throne before he'd left to seek shelter in Oria. And according to the king himself, he still escaped to the small cottage every few weeks for some time for himself since he'd grown so accustom to it.

Jai had broken off from their riding party once he realized they were on the trail that they used to take to get to the cottage. He'd felt out of place already, so breaking from the group was welcome. Merek and his guardsmen had been taking him to meet with families throughout the lands that surrounded the city boundaries. Of course, Gideon already knew most of them and Jai was hit with a small bout of jealousy when they all greeted him with warm smiles, handshakes, and hugs.

He could have already known them all if he'd stayed before.

Gideon had been the only one to follow him to the cottage, telling Merek they'd catch up with them before getting back to the city. He knew what Jai was needing to do in coming back to the cottage – come to terms even more about what happened so he could forgive himself since he still really hadn't been able to completely.

"Bence pretty much took over, which was just fine with me. He put the place to good use, as you can tell," Gideon told him then, pulling off his jacket as he walked toward the kitchen area, throwing it on the back of the sofa as he passed. "It became a safe haven for all four of us – me, him, Lyv, and Merek. Somewhere we could all go to get away from what all was happening in the city and just be us."

"Mother knows we never did much with it," Jai said, trying to lighten the mood.

There was no use, though. Gideon's mind seemed preoccupied as he peered into one lower cabinet to pull out a glass bottle of what looked like homemade wine.

"What's going on with you?" Jai asked as he walked over beside him to lean against the counter. "You've hardly said a word since we left the city this morning."

His best friend poured them both a tankard full of the dark red liquid before taking a few large gulps. "Nothing," he gasped once he chugged it down. "Nothing at all."

He snorted as he rolled his eyes. "If nothing is going on...then can you explain why I can still smell Thia's scent beginning to intertwine with yours far more than it's been before?"

Gideon's scowl deepened. "Exactly. Nothing. Mother above, that female is driving me insane and not in the good way anymore. There I was, trying to apologize and she goes and...hold on. What?"

Jai gestured to all of him. "Do you not realize those of us who know you best know you two are mates? Lyv certainly does, because I've heard her subtly teasing Thia about it over the last few weeks. And Thia has definitely known for some time. She probably knew the moment you met Erly and she took to you so quickly. There's a bond between a dragon and it's bloodrite bond's mate, you know. But something happened between you two last night. That's why you've been in such a mood today and why Thia disappeared with Erly this morning. She didn't look like she got much sleep either, just like you."