Chapter 41

Chapter 41

By the time Jai pulled himself together after breaking down in front of Gideon, exhaustion weighed even heavier on his shoulders. Gideon kept close to his side as they walked from his rooms back to the infirmary and even took hold of his arm whenever he stumbled. All the palace staff were silent, bowing their heads as their crown prince passed and seeing the grief on his face. It didn't help that they were cleaning up the blood stains that trailed down the hallway, making the images flash in Jai's mind once more.

"I didn't want Elys to see her like that," Jai whispered, shaking his head. "Laurel was supposed to get him and Eamon..."

But Gideon was already shaking his head. "The vision Elys had right before Mik and Allel appeared...that's what it was of. Whenever Thia and I got here, he told me after we calmed him down. He was in hysterics, of course, after seeing Lyv the way she was. He said he saw what Mik would do to her, but just not if you and Alberich would be able to save her. I told him that if he was able to see things with her that hadn't happened yet, why wouldn't you be able to? But all he said was that his visions can change no matter how many times he saw them before."

Jai ran his hand through his still damp hair before going over his face. "Where is he now?"

"With Lyv...where else? Laurel and Eamon were there with her when I left to find you. Alberich and Bridget are still there, too, though I think Alberich might have left to rest up himself after I did. Your parents, Camilla, and Soren came in to see how she was doing, but are now out in the city letting everyone know what happened. And Thia's with Erly and Roshan at the estate. Erly's healing up all right, but Roshan...it's going to take time, especially with Lyv out of commission for the moment. So far, he's doing well, though. And completely worried about Lyv. Thia's having to lock the dragon quarters just to make him stay put."

They followed the hallway to one of the many staircases. This one would put them out just a few doors down from the infirmary.

And those doors were open when they reached them, voices sounding from inside. When they went in, Bridget was rinsing her hands in the sink as Laurel wrung out the cloths they used to clean Lyv up beside her. The chatter was coming from Elys and Eamon, both of whom had taken a seat on one of the cots they'd pushed close to Lyv's. They were reading her a story as if to make her feel better. Posy was with them, too, though she was sitting on the pillow by Lyv's head, twirling a strand of her hair around and around.

And Lyv...gods above, she was still breathing and looked as if nothing had ever happened to her. The only physical sign of her injuries was the white line that cut across her throat. Jai had a feeling he'd find one on her chest, too, but that one was covered by the loose-fitting tunic they'd put on her, one of her favorites that just happened to have been Jai's.

Bridget and Laurel turned toward him as they walked in, both drying off their hands before rushing over to give him a tight hug.

"How is she doing?" Jai asked, his voice tight with worry as he glanced over at his mate again.

"Fine, just fine," Bridget nodded, following his gaze. "Her magic, though...Mik seemed to pull all of it into that stone of his. And until it builds back up..." She sighed, looking back over at him as she reached up to cradle his cheek in her hand. "Thank you, Jai. Thank you for saving her. Now, go over there and talk to her."

Except he couldn't get over just yet, not when two little boys and a pixie rushed at him then. While Eamon wrapped his arms tight around his waist at his side, Elys had jumped into his arms, making Jai stumble only slightly before he caught himself. Those hugs and Posy's hug and kisses on his cheek were well worth it.