Chapter One: First Day High

NEW SCHOOL, new people. Would I be able to make new friends? I guess, like in my previous school, I'd be having a hard time adjusting and making new friends. It had always been like that. I was used to it anyway. My family and I had been moving around different cities since forever. Dad's working in a telecommunications company, and the whole family had been moving around whenever he'd get reassigned to a different area. That was why I had a difficult time making friends. I also knew that we would transfer to another city sooner or later anyway, so I guess I didn't want to experience any separation anxiety if I got close to someone I would leave behind. I just turned sixteen last April and dad's news that the whole family would again move was a very disappointing birthday gift.

I adjusted the strap of my backpack over my shoulder and eyed the massive gate bearing the seal of the school. ST. BERNADETTE ACADEMY. That's the name of my new school. I lifted my ID card and gazed at it. A small picture of my face stared back at me from the upper hand corner of the ID card. My name ALEXIS MARIE SALVACION was written in bold letters beside the picture. Student number 2356.

I eyed the sea of students rushing past by the gate, presenting their ID cards to a machine attached to the doorway. The students here looked different from my previous school—the girls were wearing their standard uniform only it was heavily accessorized with necklaces and bracelets and flowers pinned on their neckties. And, oddly, most of them were carrying anything pink: pink bags, pink barrettes, pink headbands, pink watches... you name it, and it's pink! A pink-infested school—how unique. I groaned inwardly. My favorite color—purple's a rather pretty color than pink—would be drowning here to nonexistent.

The boys on the other hand (and I could not believe I'm saying this at all because I was never interested in boys) were all cute and good-looking. And somehow, I found myself so lacking.

I heaved a heavy sigh and sauntered towards the gate and followed the other students inside. It was when I was in the quadrangle where I first met my future tormentor.

"Watch it nerd! Hindi kasi tinitignan ang dinaraanan, eh," said the pretty girl, wearing a pair of extremely large hoop earrings that should have been banned by the school admins, said.

Great. Just because I wore glasses and my visions weren't 20-20, I was called a nerd. First day of school and I was now the official school nerd.

"Sorry. Hindi ko sinasadya," I answered apologetically, although I was pretty sure she was the one who bumped into me. This incident kind of reminded me of several teen flicks I saw on TV. And my gut was telling me to lay low.

The girl rolled her eyes and said, "Whatever" and sauntered her way towards a group of girls not far from where I stood.

I adjusted the strap of my backpack and went to find my room. Room A-301 was scribbled on a piece of paper. I crumpled the paper and shove it inside the side pocket of my navy-blue skirt. I went to the said room, and it was already half-filled with students. I went to a desk at the back, pulled the chair, and sat down, waiting for the teacher to arrive.

I felt self-conscious when all the other students began talking animatedly with each other. Obviously, they were classmates the previous year. I was a newcomer, and like all newcomers, I was the recipient of curious glances and stares; although, no one seemed to approach me and ask for my name.

I just bowed my head, avoiding their eyes, when I felt someone sitting on the desk beside mine.

"Hi! Bagong student ka rito?" a voice asked from my right side.

I looked at the side to find a girl wearing pigtails with purple ribbons (thank God it's not pink!) smiling at me, looking at me as if expecting me to give her an answer. "Oo. Bago lang ako rito."