Chapter Seven: Surprises and Cupcakes

My mind was battling between removing my glasses and momentarily blinding myself but making me look presentable, or retaining my vision and witnessed Benjamin Lucero executing a perfect backswing while keeping his hotness, but making me look like a weirdo with a scotch tape hanging at the bridge of my nose. I chose the latter. I mean, since when did I care about how I looked in front of a boy? Even if that said boy was cute and worthy to be drool over.

So, I did the next best thing: hidding behind Alicia when Benjamin, who was looking so sophisticatedly hot in his tennis uniform, approached us. Since when did tennis uniforms could make someone look hot? Only Benjamin could do that. And oh yes, I literally hid behind Alicia.

"Alex, ano ka ba? Ba't ka ba riyan nagtatago sa likod ko?" Alicia asked as we waited for Benjamin on the side of the tennis court.

I had no other choice but to step out of my hiding place and stand one her side, head bowed down, my eyes focused on the ground, staring at it as if it had the most fascinating piece of dirt I had ever seen. I saw Benjamin's shoes stopping near Alicia, so I sneaked a glance and saw a dimple on his left cheek when he smiled. He should smile more often.

"Salamat Benj, ha. Kailangan kasi talaga namin ng isa pang member, or else bubuwagin na 'yong club namin," I heard Alicia saying. Wait. What? Our club was in trouble?

"Glad to be of help, Alicia," Benjamin answered.

"Pero if tinanong ka ni Bianca tungkol dito, ano sasabihin mo?" Alicia asked.

"Ako na ang bahala sa kanya. Don't worry about it."

Alicia thanked him again, and all that time he never took notice of me beside Alicia. So much for my fuss earlier. And while Benjamin was about to turn to leave, a small yellow green ball came flying through the air and decided to land on my head. Hard.

"Aray!" I said, wincing while massaging the side of my head. Not far from us, I saw three girls tittering in the middle of the court. One was throwing a tennis ball and catching it with one hand. I identified the girl as Ashley, one of the Pink Angels, giving me a look—a look that clearly said: stay away from my guy.

"Okay ka lang?" I heard Benjamin asked as I continued to nurse my bruised head and ego. It was really embarrassing to have the guy you admired witnessed a ball landing on your head. And he seemed to be only taking notice of me during embarrassing situations.

"Okay lang ako. Salamat," I said, not even meeting his eyes.

"I think it would be better, Alicia, kung dalhin mo na lang ang kaibigan mo sa clinic," Benjamin told my friend.

"Ay oo. Sige, mauna na kami ha. Salamat uli Benj, ha." Alicia, thankfully, led me out of the court. "Okay ka lang ba talaga? Tara, samahan kita sa clinic."

I shook my head, the effort of doing so gave me a slight headache. "Okay lang ako. 'Wag na tayo dumaan ng clinic. Itutulog ko na lang ito sa bahay."

Alicia gave me one, last concerned look before she nodded. As we walked away from the tennis court, I took a glance over my shoulder and saw Benjamin staring at us. The minute he saw me looking back at him, he averted his gaze and started serving the ball. I looked back in front again and smiled a little, feeling a jolt of electricity rushing down my spine. So, this was what it felt like when a boy who you possibly and probably had a crush on looked at you. It was my very first true kilig experience.

***

I have a weird feeling that mom was actually glad my glasses broke. And I also had an absurd feeling that mom hated my glasses.

"Gamitin mo muna 'yong extra mo na salamin. Tapos papagawa tayo ng bagong salamin," she told me. "Iyong tipong angkop naman sa edad mo anak. Nagmumukha ka kasing matanda sa salamin mo, eh."