Chapter Fifteen: The Fall of Alexis

“Are you okay?” Benjamin asked me as he helped me found my steady.

“Okay lang ako.” I blinked several times. I’m confused. How could a jerk and a snob like him act like a gentleman? With the way he held my hand earlier, and the way his eyes were smiling, I knew he wasn’t faking it. He was really a nice guy. And maybe he was just influenced by his buddies to be a jerk. Maybe he was really a decent guy. I was not sure of what to do anymore…

He gave me another one of his dazzling smile. “Let’s get something to eat.”

I only gave him a nod. Those smiles could literally strike you mute.

Last night, I read some dating tips in a magazine for teen girls. Avoid messy food as much as possible, the article had said. Number one food to avoid was spaghetti, unless you wanted to have its sauce smear your face and dress. Darn. I loved spaghetti. Avoid messy burgers like sloppy joe. Oh men! Sloppy joes were my favorite. I never knew one could starve to death on a date!

So I settled for fries (which was the safest food to eat thus far) and a cone of ice cream (which was a bit messy to eat especially when the ice cream would start dripping from the cone and ran to my hand, but I refused to suffer starvation any longer so I ordered the chocolate flavored ice cream).

We were now walking around, enjoying sight seeing and checking out the booths and all. Benjamin bought me a pack of cheese-flavored popcorn. He also bought one for himself. My fingers were already covered with cheese powder, and I was so tempted to lick my finger. Darn. I was so tempted to lick all those cheese sticking on my finger.

So uncool.

I should act lady-like and all.

So not me.

But then, I suddenly saw Benjamin licking the cheese powder off his thumb, looking unsophisticated and cute at the same time. I couldn’t help but burst into fits of laughter as I witnessed Mr. Cool Preppy Boy licking his thumb.

“What’s funny?” he asked.

I shook my head and tried to control my laughter. “Wala naman.” Then I started licking my finger as well. I was worrying and stressing myself out on how to act properly on our sort-of date, and here was Benjamin licking his thumb! All those worrying took the fun away. And so I decided just to act the normal, Alexis way.

I smiled at him brightly and said, “Punta tayo doon sa booth na ‘yon.”

I did not wait for an answer from him since I already grabbed his hand and pulled him to follow me. I could have sworn I saw him from the corner of my eye smiling as he glanced down on my hand holding his. I wasn’t really sure.

I led him to the booth. I had my eye on that big, honey-colored teddy bear as the prize. All I needed to do was throw three hoop rings into one of those poles. Easy. Piece of cake. That teddy bear was mine.

I was so wrong.

I almost emptied my purse coin with my obsession for winning, but I never managed to shoot the hoops into those poles. I was really bad at this –I should have dragged Joey with me. She was good in basketball, so maybe this was easy for her.

“Gusto mo subukan ko para sa ‘yo, Alexis?” Benjamin offered, trying so unsuccessful to hide his smile.

“Hindi. Kaya ko ito,” I told him with firm determination. “Magiging akin ka rin, Honey.”

“Honey?” he asked, looking surprised and confused at the same time.

“Oo, Honey. Honey magiging pangalan ng teddy bear na ‘yan once naging akin na siya.”