Chapter Fourteen: Group Date

All the girls went to my house the following day. It was like having the make-over part two. It was fun, actually, to have girl friends around to play with make-ups and dresses. I never had to experience that before.

My mom was equally excited for us. She even helped us with dressing up. She also knew about our ‘group date’ with Benjamin and his friends.

Last night, when Alicia and Robyn had dropped me home, Robyn immediately greeted dad and asked his permission for me to go with them to the amusement park. And Robyn really had a way with subtely convincing other people to agree with her. I was surprised that dad agreed. Of course, he was hesitant to give me permission at first.

“Pa, payagan mo na si Alex. Nasa malapit lang naman ang amusement park,” mom had told dad. “At saka good girl at responsible naman ang anak natin. Alam niya ang kanyang mga limitations. Hindi ba, anak?”

So this morning, my room looked as if a typhoon had stormed in and different clothes were scattered on the bed and floor.

“Dapat maganda ang outfit mo,” Robyn said. Joey chose a pair of gray pants and black hoodie. The girls shook their heads at her choice. They then agreed for me to wear a floral print shorts matched with a plain white blouse and pale pink cardigan, and paired with ballet flat shoes. I wasn’t used to wearing skirts, girly shorts and blouses –I was more of the jeans and shirts kind of a girl, like Joey. But Alicia and Madie said I looked nice. For the occasion, Madie curled the ends of my hair and left the rest of my hair down. They also removed my glasses and mom had me wore my contacts. Madie also copied ate Rachel's technique of "barely there" make-up.

"'No make-up' make-up look tawag dito sabi ni ate Rachel. Light lang na make up na parang natural look lang," Madie explained. "Tama lang daw ito para sa age natin."

Mom went upstairs to check on us. She was even more excited than me. She said I was like a caterpillar coming out of a cocoon and turning into a beautiful butterfly. Daniel, my kid brother, stuck his finger in his throat and made barfing sounds. So I threw a pillow on his face, but he just laughed and ran, yelling, “Yucks! Si ate pa-girl. Eeew!”

Little brothers –they’re annoying and yet adorable at times.

“Anak! Andito na sundo niyo,” dad’s voice boomed from downstairs.

The girls, and even mom, ran to the living room, their excitement was oozing from every pore of their bodies. Really. We were just going out.

I took the stairs one step at a time, anxious that Benjamin might not like the way I look. I was almost at the bottom of the steps when I saw dad was standing with his arms crossed over his chest with his feet planted apart, giving Benjamin an intimidated glare.

“Ano ang pangalan mo? Sino ang mga magulang mo? Alam ba nila na andito ka ngayon? Hindi ba masyado pa kayong bata para magdate? I’m watching you…” I heard dad said. Geez. I rolled my eyes.

My sudden movement might have caught Benjamin’s eyes for he suddenly took an intake of breath and slowly exhaled while saying, “Wow.” A blush warmed my cheeks. The countless hours of torture at the hands of mom and my friends during make-over round two was so worth it.

Dad turned his head and when he saw me, he looked as if he was about to cry!

“Ngayon ko lang napansin. Dalaga na pala ang anak ko,” he said. He turned again to face Benjamin and resumed his military bearing. “Alagaan mo ang anak ko at mga kaibigan niya. Alam ko ang takbo ng mga lalaking kabataan ngayon. Kapag hindi mo inuwi ang anak ko sa tamang oras…”

It was hilarious to see Benjamin swallowing and cowering before my dad. Benjamin Lucero, one of the most popular guys in school, the cool and sought after crush ng campus, and member of the Blue Knights, afraid of my dad.