Chapter Two: The Pink Angels and the Blue Knights

A GROUP of six girls sashayed towards the only vacant table. As they made the long walk, all eyes were on them. They, too, were wearing their standard blue skirt and white blouse uniforms. But the way they carried themselves, made it look as if they were wearing anything but the uniform. They were sporting either long silky locks that gave shame to the shampoo commercial models or soft curls that framed their delicate pretty faces. Small uniformly pink angel brooches were pinned on their neckties. The rest of the girls in the cafeteria were admiring their coolness and chicness. The boys were checking out their hotness.

"Ayan na ang tinik sa aking bangs," Robyn said, rolling her eyes.

"Wala ka namang bangs, Robyn," Madie pointed out.

"Wala nga akong bangs. Pero sila mga walang kuwenta sa lipunan!" Robyn answered.

I sensed that among the four, Robyn hated the Pink Angels the most. Then I heard Joey sigh.

"Pero aminin man natin o hindi, magaganda talaga sila at sikat," Joey admitted.

I was about to comment that Joey was pretty in her way when a cute tall boy appeared behind her and removed her baseball cap. Joey made a loud "Hoy!" but the boy only gave her a wink, placed the cap on his head, and walked away towards the Pink Angels' table.

Curiously, I asked, "Sino 'yon? Boyfriend mo?"

Joey screwed her face and said, "'Yon? Eeeew! Kadiri. Yuck! Best friend ko 'yon 'no."

I was curious, so I asked Joey, "Ba't 'di siya sumabay na lang sa atin? Bakit do'n siya nakiupo sa table nila? Friends ba sila?"

Alicia, suddenly, gave me a very weird wide smile. "Malalaman mo in three... two... one."

At the count of one, I heard a very loud shriek inside the cafeteria, as if James Reid just decided to grace them with his hotness.

"Lumingong ka at your own risk," Alicia said with that same weird smile.

I looked over my shoulder and let out a small gasp. Three extremely good-looking boys sauntered their way towards the Pink Angel's table, joining the boy who Joey claimed to be her best friend. Those boys were no James Reid. They were demi-gods. The four boys sported an aura of hotness and total coolness. I know, I know. How could something hot be so cool at the same time? It even boggled my mind how I came up with that description. But there they were, making all girls sigh with longing.

But I was not like the rest of the girls, thank goodness. Yes, I could appreciate a cute boy, but that was that. Study first, cute boys later—my solemn promise to mom.

"Sino sila? F4?" I joked.

Madie giggled. "Hindi. Sila ang Blue Knights. Sikat na grupo ng mga guys dito. Apat pa lang nakikita mo pero medyo marami sila."

I snorted. "Blue Knights?"

"Oo," Alicia said. "Sila 'yong parang male version ng Pink Angels. Kasi almost all sa kanila ay may love interest sa Pink Angels. Bagay daw kasi 'yong color na blue sa pink, kaya ayon. Naging Blue Knights tawag sa kanila."

I did not even suppress my laugh with Alicia's explanation. "Ano sila mga bata? Mix and match ng colors? Partner-partner lang?"

"'Yon din nga sabi ko! Sabi ko na, eh, magkakasundo kami nitong si Alex," Robyn said.

The others joined in with my laughter. We laughed so hard until our stomachs ached. Yes, I didn't crack the funniest joke. But I guess the five of us somehow understood the absurdity of the Pink Angels and the Blue Knights.

I guess we laughed too loud, for several heads turned towards us including those from the Pink Angels and Blue Knights. The prettiest girl from the Pink Angels gave us a murderous glare, probably because we stole the spotlight from them. I saw Alicia smiling smugly at the girl and wiggling her fingers at her.

"That's Bianca Lucero," Robyn explained, pointing at the pretty girl who glared at us. "Siya ang leader ng Pink Angels at president ng Pink Angels Society, isang school org na walang ginawa kundi ang magsulat ng walang kakuwenta-kuwentang chismis sa gossip column ng school paper."

"At 'yong tumabi naman sa kanya ay si Benjamin Lucero, twin brother ni Bianca. Leader ng Blue Knights at balita ko aysiya ang Editor-in-chief ng school paper ngayong shool year. Team captain din ng tennis club," Madie said. "Ang cute niya 'no? Napaka-dreamy..."

"At 'yong ibang girls naman ay sina Francheska Dizon, Sandy Lacson, Lalaine Aquino, Georgina at Ashley Anderson," Alicia provided. "Halos lahat sila anak mayaman kaya na rin sikat sila sa school."

"'Yong bestfriend kong engot ay si Nathan Martinez," Joey said. "Hindi naman mayaman pamilya niya noon. Kaso nag-boom ang business ng tatay niya sa construction kaya ayon, naging miyembro ng Blue Knights." I noticed the way she looked at her best friend, as if it saddened her that he was there and not here with us. I followed her gaze and saw Nathan slung his arm around a girl named Georgina. Ah, that explained it.

Alicia made a giggle. "Ang pinakaguwapo naman sa kanila ay si Arthur Lancelot Villanueva. At ako ang Guinevere ng buhay niya," she said, which was followed by a wistful sigh as she gazed at another cute boy.

Joey waved a hand in front of Alicia's dreamy face. "Hello! Earth to Alicia. Baka na-kidnap na ng mga Martians ang utak mo."

Robyn rolled her eyes and looked at me. "Pagpasensyahan mo na 'yang si Alicia. Malakas ang tama do'n kay Arthur."

I only smiled and nodded.

"Ang isang natitirang guy naman ay si Marco Lucero, pinsan nina Bianca at Benjamin," Madie said. "May tatlo pa silang kasama pero baka busy pa sa pagbu-bully sa mga schoolmates natin."

A very rich and popular clique of girls.

An equally rich and popular group of boys.

A group of bullies to traumatize you during your high school years.

Yep. I was not mistaken. This resembled the typical like-the-movies-cliché-stories. This was going to be one big nightmare; I could tell you.

 This was going to be one big nightmare; I could tell you

#TheNerdClubAlexis
#AlexisAndTheBet