Chapter Four: Keep Off the Grass

I WAS SURPRISED one Wednesday afternoon when Alicia tugged my wrist, telling me to follow her. Since there was still time before I needed to be home, I allowed her to lead me to the place where they usually hang out. I was even more surprised to find out where she led me.

"Tara. Doon tayo sa 'keep off the grass'," Alicia told me with shining eyes.

I gave her a quizzical look and said, "Alicia, keep off the grass na nga, eh. Ba't pa tayo uupo roon?"

She sat down on the grass between Robyn and Madie. She had led me to a grassy area facing the gym. There were several students basking against the afternoon shade as well. Joey tapped the space beside her, indicating for me to sit down as well.

I gave them a hesitant look. I mean really, why would I go against school rules and kill these poor grasses with my shoes and butt? Were these new found friends of mine a bunch of delinquents, going against school policy?

Robyn noticed my hesitation and said, "Huwag kang mag-alala. Mukha lang akong parating galit sa buhay at si Alicia naman mukhang engot lang pero mababait kami. 'Di kami gumagawa ng kalokohan at mas lalong 'di ka naman idadamay sa mga kalokohang gagawin namin if ever."

I was usually a good judge of a person's character. And I was a keen observer as well. And based on what I saw and observed, I could say that they are a good lot. So, I trusted my instinct and sat down beside Joey. "Eh, 'di ba tayo mapapahamak dito? 'Di ba nga ang ibig sabihin ng 'keep off the grass' ay 'KEEP OFF THE GRASS'?"

Alicia chuckled and explained. "Hindi naman. Ganito kasi 'yon. Dati may nakalagay talaga na 'keep off the grass' dito. Kaso 'yong mga ibang students, pasaway. Alam mo na? 'Pag sinabing hindi puwede at bawal, opposite ang gagawin. Lagi pa rin silang tumatambay rito."

Madie joined in with the conversation. "Kaya last year, 'yong mga hardinero tinanggal nila 'yong placard ng 'keep off the grass'. Akala ata madadaan sa reverse psychology ang mga students. Kaso mas mautak talaga ang mga pasaway."

"Kaya after no'n, give up na lang sila sa pagsaway sa mga students and pumayag na lang ang school na gamitin itong area na ito ng mga students," Alicia added. "Kesa naman daw sa labas ng school magsipagtambay ang mga students, 'di ba?"

If you think of it as that way, then I guess staying here was okay. It was a relief to know that we were not doing anything that might raise the eyebrows of our teachers. You could say that I was one of those who were afraid to break rules. But I still asked them why they still called it as such.

"Kaya 'keep off the grass' pa rin kasi nakasanayan na," Robyn said. "Dati katuwaan lang 'yong pangalan hanggang sa nakasanayan na itong gano'n na tawagin."

I was about to ask them why we were here when I got distracted with Madie tugging Alicia's arm.

"Ali, ayan na si King Arthur mo," Madie whispered, and Alicia suddenly grabbed a book and placed it before her face, pretending to read it. But it was very much obvious that she was sneaking glances when she raised her eyes above the book. I followed her gaze and saw the one named Arthur running outside the gymnasium holding a soccer ball, with another boy I later identified as Dave Espiritu, the school bully. Alicia had only eyes for Arthur as she followed him with her gaze until they left for the open soccer field on the other side of the campus.

"Robyn, baby!" Someone shouted, causing all heads to suddenly turn to the direction of the voice with Robyn throwing a glower over whoever it was who called out her name. I saw Marco, with Joey's best friend Nathan beside him in their basketball jersey, almost halfway inside the gym.

"Para sa 'yo lahat ng shots ko sa hoop, baby!" Marco shouted, making Nathan beside him chuckle.

"Tamaan ka sana ng maraming bola sa ulo! Buweset!" Robyn shouted, but Marco seemed unaffected. He laughed aloud as they went inside the gym.

Madie and Joey were trying to unsuccessfully hide their giggles, while Alicia seemed oblivious of everything as she continued to stare again at the direction Arthur went.

I looked at Robyn and my mouth was already opened to ask her a question when she said "Alam ko na itatanong mo at ang sagot ko ay isang malaking N-O. No! Wala siyang gusto sa akin at mas lalong wala akong gusto sa bansot na 'yon. Masaya lang siyang guluhin ang payapa kong buhay."

Marco wasn't as tall as Nathan, but he was not that short as Robyn described him. And as the eternal keen observer, I knew there was more to it than what Robyn had explained.

But I decided to drop the topic when I saw another member of the Blue Knights; and this one, instead of going inside the gym, he went around it, going at the back. It was the one named Benjamin, who was wearing his tennis uniform with the head of his racket resting atop his shoulder. I didn't know why, but he was oozing with confidence with the way he walked and held his stance. He didn't seem arrogant, though. I guess he was born with confidence attached to him. And that confidence was what had attracted the girls to him, like a bee to a flower, like Pooh bear to honey, like flies to garbage. Okay, the last one might be somewhat disgusting, but I guess you already got the analogy part.

He was also kind of cute, in a preppy and clean sort of way. And cuteness was a plus factor among the girls if you know what I mean. And with him being born a rich kid and all really showed even with the way he clothed himself. He was only wearing his tennis uniform but still, he stood out from the rest.

I was forced out of my ogling-slash-daydreaming when I Alicia cleared her throat.

"Ehem! Mukhang may bumihag sa pihikang puso ni Alex," Alicia joked.

I blushed at the comment. Him? Me? No way. "'Di ko type mga preppy boys."

"Eh, ano ang mga type mo?" Madie asked.

What was my type? Frankly, I have no clue what I liked in a boy. I never gave boys a thought. That was until I saw preppy boy and his tennis racket. "Rock stars," I answered lamely.

"Weh!" they all answered.

Yeah, I understood their reaction alright. I mean, even I would not believe that myself. Me, who loved the classics and knew who sang along with Mary Poppins, would go for a rock star? Oh, c'mon!

"O, paano 'yan? Next Wednesday uli?" Alicia suddenly asked, standing up.

"Next Wednesday?" I asked.

Joey faced me and said, "Every Wednesday kasi ang practice ni Arthur sa soccer. Kung hindi dito ang tambayan 'pag Wednesday, doon naman malapit sa soccer field."

"Kailangan alternate ang lugar para 'di mahalata ni Arthur na may stalker siya," Madie supplied with a giggle.

"At kahit mabigat sa kalooban ko, sumasama na lang ako para may pumigil kay Alicia kung sakaling naisipan niyang kidnap-in si Arthur at itago sa bag niya," Robyn added.

Alicia gave them all a very bright smile. "Kaya mahal na mahal ko kayo, eh! Supportive kayo sa love story namin ni King Arthur ko!"

So. Wednesday was boy watching day. I wondered if Preppy boy would be here every Wednesday as well. High school might just get a little bit of fun.

A/N: Ang KEEP OF THE GRASS ay hango sa totoong buhay (dahil isa ako sa pasaway na umuupo sa KEEP OF THE GRASS

A/N: Ang KEEP OF THE GRASS ay hango sa totoong buhay (dahil isa ako sa pasaway na umuupo sa KEEP OF THE GRASS. lol)

#TheNerdClubAlexis
#AlexisAndTheBet