Chapter 14

Jesse stayed up all night, sleeplessly, he couldn't think about anything other than tomorrow. Jesse had absolutely no clue as to what he was going to ask, I mean, what was there to ask? Jesse laid flat on his back, staring at the ceiling and twiddling his thumbs. He'd been laying there for at least what seemed to be hours. Jesse began to talk to himself in a whisper. "What in heavens name am I supposed to ask her?"

Jesse shifted around on his bunk to lay on his right side, facing outward. "Like she already answered my question so I can't ask her again." 

Jesse shifted again once more to lay on his back again. Jesse stared at the ceiling for a bit longer before yelling in distress. "What am I supposed to ask?" 

At that moment Jesse heard a banging on his bunk's side. Jesse turned his head to see his quite angry brother. "I hate to cuss Jesse but can you shut the hell up?" He whispered in frustration. 

Jesse slowly sat up on his bed. "Sorry Miles, I just can't seem to fall asleep."

"Ya don't say?" 

Jesse rolled his eyes before speaking. "I just don't know what I'm supposed to ask Y/N, that's all." 

It was now Miles' turn to roll his eyes. "It's not that hard Jesse, just talk to her like a normal person, the words will come to you." 

"You think so?" Jesse asked.

"Yes, now go back to sleep," Miles answered before climbing back down to his bunk. 

Jesse flopped on the bunk and continued to stare at the ceiling until he drifted off. The next mourning Jesse woke up to the sun shining on his face. Jesse had obviously not slept much or that well. Jesse reluctantly got up and got dressed, he was nervous. Maybe it was because he was going to talk to Y/N but it didn't seem right for him to be this nervous over this. Once Jesse got out of his room he saw his mother and Y/N sitting at the kitchen table. A knot tied in Jesse's stomach and a lump built up in his throat. On top of that, his palms grew to be quite sweaty. Jesse moved closer to the two, Jesse cleared his throat causing his mother and Y/N to look at him. Jesse made brief eye contact with Y/N but look away. "Y/N, I need to talk to you." He explained, still refusing to make eye contact. 

Y/N got up from her seat. "Sure, whatcha need to talk about?" 

Jesse looked over at Y/N. "No, I need to talk to you in private." 

Y/N looked over at Mae then back to Jesse. "Alright." She said. 

Y/N followed Jesse outside, the two sat on the ground right in front of the house. Jesse still refused to look at Y/N. "What did you need to talk about?" Y/N asked. 

Jesse took a deep breath. "Why'd you try to save our lives?" He asked.

"That's it?" 

Jesse slowly turned to look at Y/N. "I thought I had already said, I don't know. I felt obligated." Y/N answered a bit defensive. 

Jesse cocked his head a little to the left. "Obligated?" He asked.

"Yes, I felt like I needed to protect you." Y/N answered.

Y/N took a moment to think through what she said before correcting herself. "Well, you and your family that is." 

"I understand that what I don't get is why you felt obligated to protect a family that's immortal." 

Y/N rolled her eyes. "Look, I just forgot is all. The moment I saw that gun my instincts kicked in. I care about you guys too much to let you die, even if that's not possible." 

Jesse smiled a little at what Y/N had said, it was nice to know that someone cared about that much about The Tucks. "What so special about our family,"  Jesse asked.