Chapter 5

Even if he didn't like me, that's ok. I was just happy that I could go to the dance with him. After school that day, I had ran home and was internally screaming. I flung open the front door and ran into the kitchen. My mother was washing some dishes, but she quickly stopped as soon as she saw me. She looked worried, but she realized I was smiling, and she did too.

"What is going on that you had to run into the house and give me a heart attack?"

"Guess what mom you'll never believe what happened to me today!"

"What is it?"

"I'm going to the dance with Yoongi!"

My mother's smile grew larger once I said his name. She seemed to think we belonged together, so I'm sure this delighted her.

"Well that's great honey! I'm so happy you get to go with him. Now are you just going as friends?"

"Yeah, just friends," I said, losing some of my excitement.

I sat down and my mother did too. She could tell something was wrong, and I think she knew it before I even said it.

"What's wrong now?"

"Ok look. Today I...let's just say it wasn't a good day and Yoongi could tell. He told me to tell him how I felt, so I did. I told him lots of things, but I had said I really liked him and that I wanted to go to the dance with him. He said he would go with me, but I realized he never said he liked me back."

My mother just looked at me and nodded slightly. I knew she was thinking about what to say, and I was hoping it was something good. She can normally give good advice.

"Well, that's ok. I have a feeling he likes you. You don't just go to the dance with anyone. Also, since he's like you, it would make sense for him to like you. He is most likely just shy about it. Most guys are like that at first. Especially since he just moved here, he might not be sure what to say."

I thought about what my mom had said, and I believed it. It seemed very reasonable. I nodded in agreement. I then hugged my mom before going up to my room. I sat down on my bed and opened up Instagram on my phone. I was scrolling through many different pictures when one in particular caught my eye.

It was Kenzie, posing with Ryan. They looked cute together, but then I remembered back to what Yoongi had said.

"She is obviously just dating him for his looks and social status. He's just dating her because she's innocent. Couples like that don't last more than three months."

Maybe he was right. I wanted to believe him, but they genuinely looked happy together.

"But they're not happy..."

Those words kept repeating in my head. I knew Kenzie better than anyone though, and she wouldn't just date a guy because he's popular and looks good. She would date him because she loves him for who he is. At least, I think she would.

I didn't want to think about them anymore, so I turned my phone off and decided to take a walk. I told my mom I was leaving and I headed out. As I was walking down the street, I finally felt at peace and felt happy inside. I forgot how much I enjoyed a simple walk. I was able to clear my mind and enjoy the beauty of nature. Well, I was enjoying my walk until I ran into someone.

I had been walking around a corner at the end of my street. I didn't see the person coming and I accidentally ran into their shoulder. I turned around to apologize, but I stopped myself once I saw it was Ryan. Instead, I glared at him as he apologized to me. I knew I shouldn't of done that, but I wasn't prepared for what he did to me.