Chapter 3

Georgy and I headed to the campus cafeteria. I may have left out that I managed to--in a not creepy stalker way--realize that Jose tends to eat lunch in the cafeteria on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and today just happened to be a Tuesday afternoon.

We went up the spiral staircase leading to the top floor of the cafeteria. Dozens of tables were already occupied with students munching on pizza, sandwiches, and vegan BBQ "pork." Usually, in the corner near the window, Jose would be seated. He'd be reading some novel, lost in thought. It was such a sexy sight to see because you wouldn't think this generation knew how to read the way so many of them turn their noses up in disgust when you even mention a word that rhymes with "read."

My face fell when I looked at the spot near the window, and I saw a girl grinding on some dude's lap while they made out. She had a slice of pizza in her hand as she tried to...I don't know, make him nut through his shorts?

"Even I'm not that trashy," Georgy shook his head while we stared at the couple.

I felt myself unwillingly, but softly being nudged forward, and I turned around to see who pushed me.

"Oh gosh, I'm sorry," the girl said as she picked her can of soda off the floor. Her tray had pushed me in my back, "That's what I get for daydreaming while I navigate through the cafeteria."

"No worries," I said with a smile.

"Hold up, wayment!" Georgy said as he examined her. He then looked back at me, "Don't you recognize her?"

She was just as confused over the question as I was. We looked at each other, and it seemed like she must've remembered before I did because her eyes widened. I was still lost.

I turned to Georgy, giving him a look that still let him know that I was in the dark.

"I should just go," she said awkwardly.

"This is one of the girls who was hanging around when we got in that fight with Ricky!"

I looked at her again, and it all came back to me. She was the girl who tried to help Georgy up after he got punched. She even apologized to us, "Oh right! Yeah, I remember you."

"This is really awkward now. I didn't mean to run into you. I'm sorry."

"Hey, you don't have to apologize so many times. It's no big deal."

"I feel like I have to apologize for each of my friends' foolishness that night too though."

"I agree," Georgy said.

I shot him a look to shut him up, "No, you aren't your friends' actions. Especially since you went out of your way to apologize and even help us up."

She smiled, "Thank you, I really appreciate that."

"I'm Landon, and this is Georgy."

"Mae, nice to meet both of you officially."

We smiled at each other while Georgy, still in defense mode, had his arms folded. I looked over at him, and we began a non-verbal conversation via facial expressions that involved eye rolls, the pursing of lips, and loud sighs of concession.

Georgy looked at Mae, "You alone?"

"Yeah, Kynsey and Natalia have class. At least, they should be in class right now."

"Well, how about you have lunch with us?"

Mae looked at the two of us surprised, "Are you sure?"

I know most people would think I'm crazy for this. Inviting someone associated with a bunch of homophobic assholes doesn't seem smart, but I don't know. There was something about Mae that seemed genuine. The real surprise was her having such shitty friends.