Chapter 18

Me, Mae, and Georgy were just laughing and catching one another up with our Spring semester antics. I told Mae I had a DL lover whose identity I couldn't reveal, and Georgy caught her up on his love triangle with Aubrey and Tyrone. They're the two dudes he had been fucking around with since freshman year started, for those who don't remember. The door to her room opened, and we all assumed it was going to be Mr. Crawford, but it wasn't.

"Mae!" Natalia said. Her emotional state was all over her face and in her voice.

"Natalia? What are you doing here? How'd you find out?"

Deion popped up behind Natalia, "Damn, how are you so fast in heels?" he noticed the rest of us, "Oh, sup y'all?"

"Your dad called to let me know. I'm so glad you're okay!"

You could tell Georgy was ready to get on the defensive, but I didn't know what to make of the situation. Mae and Natalia hadn't talked in months, but she did just say she missed her girls.

"Maybe we should give the girls some space?" Deion suggested.

I looked at Georgy, who looked at Mae. She paused before giving us the okay to leave, so we exited the room with Deion.

Out in the hallway, Georgy verbalized his annoyance, and so did Deion.

"Yo, why didn't you tell me that Mae was hospitalized?" Deion asked Georgy.

"Because Natalia and her haven't even talked this semester, I assumed she wouldn't care!"

"Naw, that ain't right! That's her best friend."

"Well, she has a funny way of showing it."

"Okay, you two," I started, "both of your opinions are valid, but what's important right now is what Mae wants."

"I couldn't agree more, Mr. Baxter."

We turned around to see Mr. Crawford walking toward us. Should I be worried that this dude has my name now?

Deion and Mr. Crawford dapped each other up, and Georgy rolled his eyes.

"Preciate you calling, Mr. Crawford," Deion said.

"Anytime. I just hope this works out in the girls' favor."

I think that's something all four of us wanted.

***

Natalia and Mae stood there, unsure of what to say now that they were both alone.

"I-" both girls said in unison, causing them to chuckle.

"Mae, what the hell happened?"

"I don't know. Rejection has ruled my life with an iron fist. Fear of rejection from my parents and family when the truth came out. Rejection from y'all, and even when I did finally have the to live freely, rejection from a girl I really liked. Even though I totally don't blame her, but still. It was too much."

"How'd you even get on this path, though? Drugs? You?"

"Artisha Wright and I had a fling over winter break."

Natalia didn't need to hear anymore, "Of all the people!"

"Well, y'all hung out with her at the club the first night back!"

"Yeah, but Deion and I ditched once we saw what she was into. Not to be rude or anything, but that's not our scene. And it damn sure isn't yours."

"I know. I almost feel like the entire thing was an out of body experience. Getting drunk, high, and having good sex."