Chapter 23

I'll never forget it. The end of the spring semester was here, and the heat had everyone sweating. But hell had to have frozen over because Kynsey Michaels was apologizing to all of us. Like, sincerely apologizing. In front of her friends.

"A lot of the shit that went down last semester was because of me. You weren't malicious at freshman freak week, and I know that. I shouldn't have instigated a fight between you and Ricky."

I was stunned, honestly. How exactly do I respond to all this? I mean, it was true. But Kynsey was the source of so many of my problems.

"Okay, but what do you want? A cookie?" Georgy asked with his arms crossed.

"Georgy," Mae started.

"Mae, that's your girl, and I get it. But she's not my girl. And just because she apologizes for being homophobic and some of us accept it, doesn't mean we all have to."

Mae nodded understandingly, as did Kynsey. Natalia and Deion just watched the exchange in silence.

Georgy was right. We all had free will, which meant we all had the right to form our own opinions on this. Mae was on one side and Georgy the other.

Truth be told, I wasn't sure where I stood. Not because of the 'what' of the situation (the homophobia), but the 'who' (Jose). I didn't really give a fuck about everything pertaining to Ricky now. It was old news. That nigga was out of my life and Malik's life, so there was no issue. He couldn't do anything to hurt us now.

But Kynsey and Jose? The bane of my existence and the guy I was crazy about? The homophobe he chose over me? That shit stung and still does, and the fact that I let my guard down and he waltzed right back into my life and fixed my AC pissed me off. Because now I couldn't stop thinking about him. I just wanted to unblock his number and see if he'd text. It doesn't help that it makes me feel like a shitty boyfriend toward the guy who actually did choose me.

"Landon?"

I snapped out of my thoughts. Once again, everyone was trying to get my attention.

"Sorry," I responded sheepishly before glancing at Kynsey. "Actions speak louder than words. If you want me to believe you've changed, then prove it."

"What do you want me to do?"

"That's up to you and your personal journey. You'll know it if it comes to you."

It seemed like Kynsey took my words to heart, so maybe she did change. However, I wasn't holding my breath.

"Well, this was...something," Deion started. "But that room we reserved in the library to study for finals is about to open, and I really need to study, so-"

"Awww, you really are a nerd!" Georgy teased.

He and Natalia giggled while Deion rolled his eyes, "Let's go, people!"

We started toward the library, but Kynsey grabbed my hand as a sign to stay behind for a bit.

"I, uh, wanted to say something else."

"Okay?" I said, confused.

"Jose and I are over."

I felt everything around me start to go in slow motion, but why tell me this? "Why?"

Kynsey paused, trying to figure out how to answer my question. "Because he wants you."

It was like someone sucked the air right out of my lungs. My heart stopped beating, and I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped.

After that bombshell, Kynsey kept walking as if she didn't just turn my whole world upsidedown.

---