Chapter 8

Jose stood beside me as I anxiously waited in front of the Commons for Malik to come pick me up.
"I thought he said he'd be here in ten minutes?" Jose's arms were folded as we kept a vigilant watch for any cars that came close.
"I know you ain't talking about punctuality when I have to tell you to be somewhere two hours early just so I know you'll actually come on time!"
He sighed as he continued to keep watch.
"You know you don't have to stand up here with me."
"I am not leaving you here by yourself. Besides, how well do you really know dude?"
My jaw dropped, offended that Jose thought I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I mean sure, we've only known each other for a few weeks, but still!
"At least tell me the nigga's address in case shit goes left?"
Oh hell no. For some reason, maybe it was guilt or the fact that deep down I knew it wasn't right, but I didn't want to give Jose any type of evidence that could potentially lead him straight to Ricky. I didn't want him to discover this tidbit because of their increasingly volatile feud throughout the semester.
"We're not going to his place, Jose. We're just going for a ride."
"At least download that tracker app, so I can make are I know where you are until you come back to me."
I laughed, his protectiveness was cute although he had nothing to worry about.
"I'm serious, Landon."
"I know," I responded as I took my phone out and downloaded the app. After installing and setting up the app--which Jose checked to make sure work--it did seem like he was a little more at ease.
Just in time too because that's when Malik pulled up in his Blue 2012 Sonata. I took a step toward the car, but Jose put his hand out in front of me, waiting for Malik to step outside the vehicle to get a good look at him.
Malik opened the car door and stepped out. He smiled at me and took a good look at Jose. He eyed him up and down while Jose did the same thing.
I squinted at Malik for a moment, and that's when I saw the bruise on his face, "Malik, what the hell?!" I damn near shouted as I ran to him.
"I'm fine, okay?"
"This doesn't look like fine! What happened?"
Malik opened his mouth to speak until he realized Jose was still standing there, "You can go now, bruh. Appreciate you watching over him though."
"I'm just standing here making sure everything's really good before I go. You know, never can be too careful around strangers."
Malik laughed before he looked at me, "Who is this clown?"
"Last I checked, I'm right here. You could've asked me upfront. My name's Jose."
"He's a good, if not slightly overprotective, friend of mine," I told Malik.
"Ah, well I'd rather talk about this in private."
I turned around and walked over to Jose, "We're getting in the car and going for a ride now. Thanks for waiting out here with me."
Jose shot another glance at Malik, who was now getting back into his car, "Text me if anything happens."
"I can assure you it won't, but thanks," I patted him on the shoulder before walking over to the passenger side of Malik's car, "And text me when you get back to your dorm so I won't be worried sick about you!"
Jose gave me the peace sign before I entered Malik's car and he sped off.

***

We were riding around downtown for about ten minutes in silence. I don't know if Malik was gathering his thoughts, or just waiting for me to ask the questions.
I decided to go for the latter and talk first, "What exactly are you involved with?"
"It's not me, Landon I swear. Ricky is the one involved in the dangerous shit."
"And you just happened to get caught in the crossfire? He's not even able to protect his own brother?"
"It wasn't that I was 'caught' in the crossfire so much as it was that I merely... 'leaped' into it."
"You're losing me here," I told him as I got confused.
"Tevin told me that Ricky was getting himself into some trouble with a couple goons, and I came to his rescue."
"Tevin? The same dude that you said was bad news? Y'all talk?"
Malik's body language became really uncomfortable as he shifted around in his seat while we were at a red light, "He has my number for a lot of reasons I guess. Mostly because he knows I'll come running if Ricky's in danger."
The light turned green, and we continued our drive around town.
"I don't like the sound of this Tevin guy hitting your line."
Malik smirked at me, "Landon, there's no need to be jealous of Tevin."
"Seriously, Malik. If Ricky' running around here trying to play Narcos: Richmond or whatever, what if Tevin is using Ricky as emotional blackmail to get to you?"
"How so?"
"Maybe he wants you."
Malik's eyes widened when I said that. Maybe he was confused as to what I meant, so I clarified, "Maybe he wants another member of the family to help him in the drug game."
"Ah," Malik said sounding more understanding of the point I was trying to convey, "I hope his dumbass knows better than that."
"I know you though. And if Tevin knows you like I do, he knows you're going to run to your brother's rescue every time he's in danger. That's how you get caught in a trap."
"Neither of y'all know me though!" Malik snapped at me from out of nowhere.
He saw the look on my face and immediately regretted spazzing, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to lash out."
"No, it's my fault. I don't know you very well, and I'm sure you know Tevin better than I do, so it was dumb to say that."
He sighed, "I just..." his voice trailed off for a moment as he pulled in a random parking lot, "I'm tired."
"It is late, so I get it."
"No, I mean that I'm tired of having to pick up after my brother and constantly get him out of shitty situations."
"So then stop doing it!"
"What kind of brother would I be if I did that?"
"Ricky is a grown ass man, Malik. You already sacrifice so much for him as it is. You keep your sexuality a secret due to his blatant homophobia, but you somehow feel obligated to turn around and be the Superman to his hood Lois Lane? Make it make sense for me because I can't!"
"He's family, and that's the bottom line. You've gotta protect family...right?"
I shook my head, annoyed at the turn this conversation took.
Malik sighed, "I care about you Landon. Real shit, I'm feeling you."
"Considering I don't know you, this surprises me."
"You know me better than most, but I still maintain you don't know enough about me. There are...things going on in my life that I can't really talk about or escape from right now. Things I don't feel comfortable opening up and speaking on."
I paused for a moment and realized what he was saying, "Wait, is this your version of saying 'I like you, but-'"
"There's just too much going on and too much at stake to put you in the middle of my drama. You could get hurt, and I'd never forgive myself if that happened. I need you to be safe because you're amazing and you need to live a life that doesn't include ain't shit niggas and potentially life-threatening dangers."
I gave a sad laugh, "This is like the second time I've been told I'm amazing, and yet it seems like I end up getting the short end of the stick every time. I can't be that amazing."
"You're kidding, right? Ol' boy that I met tonight?"
"Jose? What about him?"
"You don't see how he looks at you?"
"We're just friends, he's made that loud and painfully clear."
"That's his loss then."
"And it could be your gain," I said seductively as I unbuckled my seatbelt.
I stroked the side of his face before he leaned in and met me halfway for a passionate kiss. It was the first one I had had since getting to college.
I felt his hand on my face and slide down to my neck before he broke the kiss and pulled away, "Fuck, Landon. You're making this hard."
"That's the point," I joked referring to the bulge I saw forming in his jeans.
The thot in me just wanted to pull it out and sit on him right then and there, but rather than a cock hopping, a cockblocking occurred.
KNOCK! Both Malik and I jumped when I looked over on the side of my window to see...
"Jose?!" I asked shocked.
"The fuck is he doing here?" Malik asked before rolling down the window.
"Yo, you good?" Jose asked me as if tracking me down in the middle of the night was normal behavior.
"Yes, I'm fine! Why are you here?"
"The tracker app had you here for the last twenty minutes or so, and I wanted to make sure that you were all good."
"He's in safe hands with me, Jose. You can count on that," Malik put his arm around me as he grinned right up in Jose's face.
"I bet," Jose frowned.
I groaned, "Give me a minute, Jose."
Malik rolled the window back up, and I looked at him, "Look, you've said your piece, and now I need to say mine before I go."
"Okay."
"I can make my own decisions about who I want to be with and what I want to get myself into. I appreciate you looking out for me, but I feel like I'd be a fool to just say this is the end of us and keep it pushing. I'm not telling you to make a decision now, but I am saying to think about it."
"But Landon, I-"
"Please, Malik. For me?"
I poked my lip out and gave my best puppy eyes, and he melted, "How can I say no to that face?"
I smiled, "That's all I ask for. If you need me to give you some space, I understand."
"Fuck that. I missed you tonight, and I don't want this to be the last time we see each other. Especially if this isn't going to be the end of what we potentially have."
"You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that."
Malik looked up at an impatient Jose before looking back at me, "And you have no idea how happy this makes me," he responded before leaning in and kissing me again. It was a gentle, long, and sultry kiss before he pulled away.
I giggled like a child before unlocking the door, "Goodnight."
"Goodnight," he smiled back at me.
Jose didn't look amused by our kiss, but he didn't say anything.
"I'm coming home with you to assuage your feelings of paranoia," I teased.
"Fine by me."
I put my hands in the pockets of Jose's jacket, which I completely forgot he gave to me as we headed toward a car.
"You really tracked me down in an Uber, huh?"
"Don't start."
"I am NEVER going to let you live this down, Jose."
He groaned as the two of us got into the car.

***

Georgy emerged from the shower after finishing his morning run to see Landon still sleeping in the bed, exhausted from his long night out. He picked up his phone to see Aubrey and Tyrone, the Kappa and the RA respectively, had texted him. Aubrey sent him a "thinkin' bout u," text while Tyrone sent him an "I'm addicted to that *peach emoji*" text.
Georgy wasn't interested in answering either of their text messages at the moment, but his eyes did light up when he noticed a missed call from Mae. He quietly exited the dorm as not to wake up Landon before calling her back.
"Hey, Georgy! Hope I didn't wake you."
"Not at all, just finished showering after my morning run and plan on getting some breakfast. You good? Haven't seen you in a minute!"
"Everything is absolutely amazing, Georgy. Lenzi and I have been getting so close lately. I've never been so smitten with anyone before."
"Awww, I'm happy for you, girl! You deserve!"
"Thanks, babe. What are you and Landon doing? I'm working at the restaurant today, and we're about to open, so if y'all wanna come by for breakfast or lunch, then-"
"Shit, I'll head down there right now! Just going to pick up some aspirin for this headache I have and then I'll jet right on down there. See you in about ten minutes?"
"Sounds good! Bye!"
Georgy hung up as he reached the nearby drugstore on campus and entered. He made a beeline for the aspirin aisle, but on his way went past Marquasia, who had a pregnancy test box in her hand.
The bell rang as the door swung open, and Georgy looked to see Ricky, who unfortunately made eye contact with him, enter.
He marched straight over to him as he clenched his fist, "You're the fag who punched me in the face during that wack ass party, aren't you?"
"A wack ass party you decided to crash, but go off," Georgy got in his face, refusing to back down.
The drugstore clerk cleared her throat, causing both boys to back down.
"Where's your queen?" Ricky asked mockingly referring to Landon.
"Don't worry about it. Why are you here exactly?"
"I hope it's not for STD Treatment. That has to be prescribed through a doctor," a voice behind the boys responds.
Both Georgy and Ricky turn to see Marquasia standing in the middle of the aisle with a smirk.
Ricky spotted the pregnancy test box she held in her hands, "Congratulations, which of the eight niggas your hoe ass messed around with is the baby daddy?"
"Pressed like a panini and I haven't even spilled the tea yet," Marquasia laughed, letting Ricky's comment roll off of her without a care in the world.
"What do you want?" Ricky growled.
"I'm just saying between you stepping out on Kynsey and her stepping out on you, y'all may want to go to the free clinic for an STD check-"
"What the fuck did you just say?"
"Why, what do you mean?" Marquasia asked in a fake innocent tone while blinking repeatedly.
"Kynsey is not cheating on me-"
Marquasia laughed, "You can't be that dumb, right Ricky? I mean we all know you're slow, but I didn't think you were stupid."
Georgy bit his bottom lip to keep from exploding at all the tea he picked up from this conversation.
Marquasia walked away from the boys while giving a little wave. Ricky stood there in silence as he fumed, completely forgetting that Georgy was even there.
Georgy slipped past him and headed to the front counter as he pulled out his phone and sent a text to Mae, "Looks like we've got a LOT of shit to catch up on," he typed out before adding the frog and teacup emojis to the end of his message.