Chapter 20

Kynsey exited her bathroom, and she looked like hell. It was apparent she didn't get any sleep last night. She dragged her feet to the couch, where she picked up her cell phone. She had several missed calls and ignored texts from Jose. She sighed as she opened her phone and continued to ignore him.

Surprisingly, she went to Mae's contact. She started to type, 'Hey, you good?' and stared at it for a moment. She changed her mind and deleted the message.

Next, she found herself at her cabinet. She took out a bottle of vodka and...poured it down the sink?! Empty, she tossed the bottle in the trashcan.

In her room, Kynsey looked through her purse until she found her fake ID. She reached in a drawer for a pair of scissors and put them up to the card. However, she couldn't go through with it.

After putting the scissors back in her drawer, she collapsed backward onto her bed, staring at the ceiling.

---

Maybe I'm about to sound like a drama queen to y'all, but I am having an off morning. Ever since we got together, Malik has always sent me a 'Good morning, Bae' text after he finishes his run. But for the last couple weeks, he hasn't been doing that.

One of my biggest issues with Malik last semester was his lack of consistency. He'd show up, be amazing, and then disappear for weeks at a time. I know it seems insignificant right now, but are the lack of morning texts a precursor to him ghosting me?

"Landon!" Georgy had called my name for the third time. I had only just heard it.

"Sorry, what's going on?"

"I was talking about needing your help on planning a date, but I see your mind is elsewhere. What's going on with you?"

"Malik's starting to change his pattern, and I don't know. It's freaking me out a bit. Is he about to ghost me?"

"What? No way! He's crazy about you."

"I hope so. I'm really putting my all into this relationship, and I'm trying to be receptive to him. You know we haven't...you know."

"Oh, that's right!" Georgy said after a brief moment of confusion, "Y'all are stuck in the foreplay stage. Chile, I don't know how you do it. I know it couldn't be me."

"We're not stuck, Georgy. We're just taking it slow while he works on his intimacy issues."

"And I completely respect that, but that doesn't mean you don't miss the feeling of a dick filling you up."

I shrugged, pretending it didn't matter much to me. But then my mind flashed to the last time I did have penetrative sex...with Jose. How he fucked me doggy style on his bed before we switched positions, and we came together in the missionary position.

"Is it hot in here?" I asked, suddenly fanning myself.

"Yeah, the weather is warming up, and this ghetto ass room doesn't have a working AC. So much for it being the best room in the building."

"Well, I know the other rooms are worse off than us. But you could always put it in a request for it to be fixed."

"To Tyrone? No, ma'am! You know that nigga was texting me from fake numbers the other day? He finally stopped, and I don't want to give him a reason to start back up."

I laughed, "Fine. Sounds like we're going to have to fix it ourselves."

"Gay handymen? I feel like this could be a reality TV series pitch."

"We'll get tips from Malik," I had said, but mentioning Malik made me feel paranoid again, and I frowned.

"Landon! Relax. If you're worried, maybe you should talk to him? Get those communication skills up, boo!"