⇢ nicotine ⇠

a/n: if this is your first time with my fanfics, welcome! this is another ff set in the nct universe i have built. any ff on my profile with a 1 in the summary somewhere is included (ie Naked, FWB, Dispatch) in this universe. you do NOT have to read the others to understand this story, so fear not!

enough of me, and onward to angst-ish jaehyun! happy reading~ ❤️

;;

01 

nicotine

Sighing, he scoots out of bed and slips into his bathrobe. As he slides open the balcony door, he glances back at his guest. He watches her pale, naked shoulder rise and fall with her breaths. With another sigh, he steps into the chill of the night. 

At the rail, he taps a cigarette out of its pack. Placing it between his lips, he pulls his lighter from the inner pocket of his robes. He lights it and inhales the toxic nicotine. 

The night is beautiful. It always is. The city twinkles, it smells of barbecue and pollution, and the sounds echo. Metallic, manmade, organic. Poetry in motion. 

The smoke from his cigarette fogs his view. A gray, killing filter. True poetry. 

As he stares, his mind remains blank, consumed by stars and nicotine. When the cold bothers his fingers, he sucks a final long drag before killing the cigarette. 

He can hear her voice in his mind as he adjusts his robe and turns to the sliding door: "I refuse to kiss you when you smell like that." 

As he steps inside the warm hotel room, he recalls his reply: "You just might be the patch I'm looking for, Sola." 

He peers at the woman in his bed again. She's still sleeping, peaceful. Her brain isn't nicotine-and-regret addled. She's probably dreaming. No nightmares to induce insomnia. 

Lucky. 

He drops his bathrobe on the bed and pads naked into the bathroom. Once the shower steams, he soaks, waiting for the water to melt his bones. Is there a detox for skeletons? 

She's awake when he reemerges, drying his hair with a towel while another is tied about his waist. She casts him a sleepy smile. "Can't sleep?" 

He settles on the edge of the bed, his smile causing a dimple to surface. "Sorry I woke you. Go back to sleep." 

But she's sitting on her knees, her lithe fingers tracing a flirtatious line from his shoulder, along his collarbone, and toward his belly button. "Maybe a quick workout will tire you out." 

He catches her hand and plants a ghost-like kiss on her knuckles. "You should try to sleep, princess." 

Eunjung rolls her eyes and tosses her legs over the side of the bed. "Just say you aren't in the mood, Jaehyun. Otherwise you might confuse girls into thinking you're sentimental."

He chuckles and watches her slip into her cocktail dress from before. 

Then his phone dings. He shuffles to the table and reads the text from Johnny: Party's a bust. We're all headed back to the dorms, if you wanna join us. 

He's thinking about nicotine when Eunjung snakes her arms about his bare waist. She's warm and fogs his mind -- just another form of nicotine. 

She's almost as tall as him, and she kisses a trail along his neck. She tugs on his earlobe with her teeth before she says, "Call me the next time you're in the mood for a night away." 

"You know you're my favorite stress-release." He kisses her nose. 

She shakes her head before snatching her purse off the table. "You know where to find me." 

He likes Eunjung. She's one of the only women he's bedded who sees through his bullshit. She knows it's not about emotions. It's the numbing of them. A distraction. And she lets him use her like a cigarette. She uses him too: no-strings-attached sex with an attractive, athletic, attentive idol. 

He's back on the balcony, smoking again. What a waste of a shower. 

As he gazes over the city lights that reflect the celestial bodies overhead, he ponders the Big Bang, and then the collapse of the sun, and then the exact moment his own cataclysm began. 

;; 

a/n: hiya. wayv trash here to formally welcome you to the angst that is jaehyun. a note about this story: while it can absolutely be read on its own, this is the installment in my nctverse that connects almost every single nct ff in this universe. which means they'll be references to the previous ffs (Naked, FWB, and Dispatch) as well as hints to future ffs in this universe. again, you can totally read this by itself. but this is the common string among most of the nct ffs i've written in the 1st nctverse. 

also, the seductive Eunjung is played by the illustrious Park SoRa 😍😍 

happy reading~ ❤️️