⇢ company ⇠

09 

company 

He feels his dimples surface, his eyes crinkle, his lips stretch. And when he feels his smile in his fingernails, he knows it's a real smile. When was the last time authenticity had shown from his face like this? 

She yanks her mask down to reveal a smile of her own. "Oh my gosh, thank you! That's so sweet of you!" 

His shoulders lift near his ears as he sucks in the scent of artificial fruit. "I wanted to repay you. I wasn't having a good day a while ago, and you made it better. So, really, thank you." 

Her eyes narrow, like she's searching her memories. Then her eyes widen and she snaps her fingers. "Oh, wow, yeah! I remember you now. I, uh--" she tucks a tendril behind her ear -- "I didn't think you'd remember me." 

"Of course I would." 

A light flush paints her cheeks, and it's like a sunrise across her canvas features. She giggles. "Well, thank you . . ." Her sentence fades, like she wants to say more but isn't sure what. 

"Jaehyun," he supplies. "Jung Jaehyun." 

"Kim Ahn Na." She offers her hand to him, and when they shake, he notices that her fingers are cold and small. 

"Nice to meet you." 

"You too." Her smile is unwavering, and he's reminded of gravity. 

"I, mm --" he pats his thighs -- "you probably want to get to your shopping now. So I'll leave you to it." 

She reaches out, and he wonders for a heart-skipping moment if she'll grip his jacket sleeve. She never does. "Oh, no, you can stay. I'd appreciate the company. If watching me shop won't be too boring for you." She chuckles. 

He's smiling again -- it's real and authentic and almost foreign. "It won't be boring." 

"Okay then." 

And he watches tiny Kim Ahn Na fill her basket with face mask packs, carbonated drinks, snack bags, and tampons. 

It's a little bit boring.