⇢ gravity ⇠

19 

gravity 

He's well aware that he's being a complete fucking idiot, and he knows better than to leave anything up to serendipity. But he's there anyway, loitering by the face masks. He doesn't even peer over his shoulder at the Marlboro packs behind the counter. He just waffles from foot to foot, picking at his nails, running his fingers through his hair. 

It's a stretch. A long-shot. But on the off-chance that she still frequents this store, Jaehyun is going to take it. Maybe these are her favorite face masks -- or her favorite convenience store -- or she still comes here to relive their memories, like he does. 

The bell above the door dings, and he holds his breath. Waiting. Watching. He knows she'll sweep in like an unassuming asteroid, and he'll stand in her path. 

But it's not her. Again. 

⬳ ⟿

Johnny claps him on the shoulder. He smiles, but there's a hint of pity in his eyes. Doyoung openly pities him. Mark tries to be sympathetic: he's been there before; it'll be okay. But it's Taeyong he finds comfort in right now. 

"Am I being a fool?" he asks, twirling a drink in his hands. 

Taeyong shrugs. "Probably. But we're all fools when we're in love, right?" His phone makes a noise, and a smile touches his lips. "Besides, she's worth doing stupid stuff for, isn't she?" 

Jaehyun smiles, and his heart pinches. If only Ahn Na could see him now. 

⬳ ⟿

He never deleted the photos from his phone, and he stares at one now. She stands on a bridge, sweatshirt and pants too big, too baggy. Her small, pale hands grasp for nothing in the air. And even though it's a cloudy day, she shines like gold -- like stars -- like an entire fucking galaxy. 

He types out a message: Can we try again? But he deletes it. He wonders if he'll ever send it. If he'll ever even see her again. 

And he realizes that this hurts more than his own demise. 

With a sigh, he tosses his rice ball wrapper in the trash and shoves his hands deep into his pockets. He turns, not even bothering to look up. 

Maybe he feels a pull, like gravity. Or maybe his periphery merely catches movement. Whatever the reason, he lifts his head.

And there, by the face mask packs, is Kim Ahn Na.