24. Transplants & Romance

I sat in my bath tub, mindlessly staring at the fireplace I'd begged to have built in my bathroom, but never used. I'd only turned it on because I'd slept in the tub last night and got cold. I'd been sitting in different places around the house to see if any of them helped me sit still or feel better. Not sure what my logic was behind that but the corner behind my bathroom door was my favorite so far.

     I thought about the night before and what Dan did, as I grew bored with watching the flames and began staring at the marble steps on the tub, trying to find pictures in the black spots. I couldn't waste time trying to figure out why he'd let me have the screen-name if he was going to do that, or why he'd apologized instead of telling me to leave him alone. I didn't even understand myself; I simply fucking didn't have the time to figure out someone else's strange actions. I needed to talk to him in person. Then he couldn't get away from me or ignore me without being round-housed or hit a button to get out of a sticky situation.

My bathroom layout

My bathroom layout...this will come in handy later

    My train of thought was broken when I heard the door open behind me and Patti's shoes clicking across the floor, as she made her way over to me. I could see her reflection in the glass of the fireplace. She looked uneasy like she was choosing her words carefully, so she didn't upset me or make things worse.
M: "Kiwi called. He wanted to know if you were going to the dance tonight. I think you should get out of the house."
T: "Yeah, Dan might be there."
M: "Not for Dan; for your friends. I can't wait 'til this year is over and you're out of that school."
She clickety-clacked back out of the bathroom, leaving me to get ready. I thought it'd be better to take a few extra pills, thinking it would hold off the depression crash until I got home, since I'd be out til later at night.                          

             When I arrived at the dance, I entered the dark gym through one of the side doors, as the lady on stage announced the winner but I'd missed what she'd said

When I arrived at the dance, I entered the dark gym through one of the side doors, as the lady on stage announced the winner but I'd missed what she'd said. The crowd of kids was split in two halves so the court could walk down the center. I found Pen at the front of the crowd, looking cock-a-doodle eyed and swaying side to side.
P: "Kiwi won!"
She made a pretend shocked face and rolled her eyes, like she was repulsed by the news.