39. The Thrill Of It All

It was finally graduation day. I wasn't an emotional roadshow like I thought I'd be. I was more upset when I left eighth grade. I had a Santa's sack of friends back then, more than I knew what to do with. I used to be cool, apparently, so I'm not sure what happened. I accompanied Pen to the front of the forum where everyone was snapping pictures, clad in their ugly royal blue graduation gowns. She jumped in a picture with Lisa and Missy, pulling me in with her. I had barely spoken to them unless they'd ask me something about one of our finals. They didn't seem angry at me and I knew they'd accept my apology if I gave them one, I just had to work up the courage. I had given myself until the end of summer to get things right with them.

          Quinton ran up to Pen and me, to take a picture

Quinton ran up to Pen and me, to take a picture. He was like a teddy bear, just the sweetest little thing. I had no idea how he put up with Jasmine. As soon as the flash of the camera went off, I heard Jasmine scream his name from across the lawn.
J: "Quinton! I been callin' you for five minutes! How dare you listen to her over me and leave me standin' here!?"
Even if she was mad at me, I had been friends with Quinton since freshman year, way before I ever started talking to her. I used to sit in front of him in world cultures class and he would joke that I had Barbie hair and needed a haircut because it would hang over his desk and get in his way. I was the one who suggested they date in the first place when she couldn't decide if she liked him or not. She marched over to us, looking enraged. I tensed up, not knowing what she would do. She had her fists clenched, so the odds weren't in my favor.                                   
K: "What the fuck is your problem?" I heard Kiwi's voice behind me, as Jasmine suddenly slowed her pace and loosened her fists. He tolerated her for Quinton but he really never liked her.
J: "You need to watch your girlfriend."
I took a step closer to look like I was going to defend myself, feeling more confident that he was behind me.
K: "If you have a problem with my girlfriend, you can come to me."
She scowled at him as she grabbed Quinton and pulled him away. He shot us an apologetic face like he was sorry he had been a bad dog, disappearing into the sea of blue with her.

K: "Come here."
I heard Kiwi whisper in my ear. I turned around to look at him as he gripped the zipper on my gown and started pulling down; undressing me like we were alone in his room.
T: "You can't wait 'til later?"
K: "I want you now."
T: "Get off me! Are you fucking insane!?"
He started laughing as I tried to back away but held the zipper tighter so I couldn't, and proceeded to pull it down. I looked around for Pen, surprised she hadn't said something smart but noticed her a few feet away, conversing with her aunt and older brother.
K: "I've never seen you this dressed up before. I wanna see what you look like before I rip it off."
He slipped the gown off and spun me around like Cinderella at the ball, to see the dress I had on underneath. That dress was always my favorite. It was a vintage Chanel dress that my mom had found in Paris, the year before. It ended a little above the knee, and was white at the top, fading to black toward the bottom and she'd somehow found the matching heels after months of searching online.
K: "You look absolutely beautiful."
T: "Stop saying that shit 'cause you think I'm in a constant state of self-loathing."
K: "I mean it. Are you staying with me tonight?"
T: "I don't know. I'll think about it."
K: "Your ass better be in my bed. I wasn't really asking."
He gave me a smirk like maybe he was kidding, but maybe he wasn't.