Chapter 6

Talonkit blinked open his eyes, sitting up. He nudged his brother awake, excited to go outside and play.
  While Finchkit was getting up, Talonkit looked over at Blackstar. She had just kitted a few nights before, only having one kit.
  The kit's name was Frostkit. She had silky white fur and beautiful blue eyes. She got tons of attention, since she was the only kit in her litter.
  Finchkit cuffed Talonkit over the ears, making him jump. "Are you going to just stand there and stare at Frostkit all day, or are we going to play outside?!"
  Talonkit licked his chest fur with embarrassment. "Er, yes. Let's go outside."
  Finchkit led the way out of the den, and Talonkit followed close behind.
  Timberfall was organizing the patrols, and Talonkit spotted his father talking with a group of warriors. He guessed they were on a patrol themselves.
  Talonkit and his brother raced over to Maplebranch, and Talonkit looked up at him hopefully.
  "Can we come, please?" He begged.
  Maplebranch shook his head. "You'll have to wait until you're apprentice's, then you can come on a patrol."
  "You won't have to wait too long!" Orangepelt, who was on the patrol as well, mewed. He playfully batted Talonkit with his tail.
  "We're going to be the best warriors ever, just you wait and see!" Finchkit huffed.
  "I'm sure you will." Orangepelt purred.
  "Let's get going." A white she-cat named Sky said.
  Talonkit rarely heard stories of the tribes, which Sky came from. He always wondered why she left, but never dared to ask anyone. All he knew was that she was loyal to the warrior code and would never betray her clan.
  Orangepelt nodded. "Lead the way, Sky."
  Sky gave a brief nod back before heading towards the entrance, the rest of the patrol following.
  Talonkit turned to his brother as he grumbled. "Ugh, I'm so bored. Why can't anything interesting happen around here?" Finchkit said, frowning.
  "There's always something to do around camp, even for kits." A deep voice behind them made them both jump, and Talonkit turned around to see Timberfall towering over them. Twice the size of a normal cat, Talonkit couldn't help but feel intimidated by the WindClan deputy.
  "The elders need fresh moss for their nests, and I'm trusting you two to do the job." Timberfall went on. He pointed his muzzle towards the medicine cat's den. "Brokenheart has some bedding, so off you go."
  Talonkit just simply nodded.
  "We won't disappoint you!" Finchkit promised, bounding over to the den. Talonkit scampered after him, feeling Timberfall's stare follow.
  As Talonkit and his brother entered the den, Brokenheart and Shadowpelt turned from the pile of herbs at their paws to look at them.
  "What can we do for you?" Shadowpelt asked, getting to her paws.
  "Timberfall has asked us to fetch moss for the elders' nests." Talonkit explained. "We were hoping you had some."
  Brokenheart nodded. "Of course." She turned to the wall, which had crevices in it to store herbs. She reached her paw through one of the holes and pulled out moss, dropping it at the kit's paws.
  "Thanks!" Finchkit squeaked, grabbing a huge bundle of moss in his jaws. Talonkit did the same and looked up at the medicine cats.
  "Oh, and when you get back to the nursery, could you check on Frostkit?" Brokenheart asked. "She should begin walking any day now."
  "Sure!" Talonkit replied, turning around to follow Finchkit out of the den.
  "That won't be a problem, considering you talk to her so much." Finchkit teased.
  "Oh shut up." Talonkit grumbled.
  Finchkit laughed as they entered the den, and put down the moss.
  An old brown tom looked up, yawning. "Hello young ones, are you here to check me for ticks?"
  "I'm afraid not, Grassclaw." Talonkit said, putting his moss next to the rest. "We're here to give you new bedding."
  A dark brown tabby she-cat purred, her white whiskers twitching with amusement. "I remember my first time using mouse bile. It was the most disgusting thing I had to do."
  Grassclaw was the oldest cat in the clan. His denmate, Bramblevision, had been WindClan's medicine cat before Brokenheart and Shadowpelt came.
  Finchkit began to replace Grassclaw's nest with new moss, so Talonkit began to work on Bramblevision's nest.
  "Can we hear a story while we work?" Finchkit begged.
  "What kind of story?" Bramblevision mewed.
  Finchkit's eyes brightened. "A scary one."
  Talonkit felt his whole body stiffen, but forced himself not to be scared. If he was going to be a warrior, he needed to be fearless.
  Bramblevision nodded. "A long time ago, before I was born, there was a cat named Nightscar, and he wanted to rule the forest. He would do anything to get what he wanted, even if it meant killing the cats who got in his way." She began. "No one knew what he was planning, not even his own clan."
  "What clan was he from?" Finchkit asked.
  "ShadowClan." Grassclaw answered simply.
  "The only cat who knew of his plans was Nightscar's son, Falconwing. He begged his father to stop, but Nightscar knew he could have no one knowing of his plans." Bramblevision paused, her tail twitching before she continued. "So he killed his son to keep him quiet. But what he didn't know, was that StarClan needed Falconwing alive. So they sent him back to the forest, this time with special abilities. He was the only cat to put an end to Nightscar's plans."
  "What special ability did he get?" Talonkit ask curiously.
  "He was able to see into the future." Bramblevision mewed.
  Finchkit snorted. "And how was that supposed to stop Nightscar?"
  "Falconwing was able to see everything Nightscar was going to do, and he told his leader what he knew. At first the ShadowClan leader didn't believe him, until the attack began. Nightscar had help from the Dark Forest, and before Falconwing ended his father, Nightscar killed ShadowClan's leader." Bramblevision said. "They say that Falconwing is in StarClan, teaching cats who deserve a second chance or he believes in to control the powers they receive. It is also said that Nightscar is in the Dark Forest, waiting for the right moment to finish off the clans once in for all."
  Talonkit stared at Bramblevision, his eyes wide. Finchkit just shook his head. "That's just a story to scare kits. Cats with powers? I don't believe it."
  Bramblevision sighed. "Believe what you would like, but now it is time for me to rest."
  Talonkit and Finchkit nodded as they walked out of the den. Talonkit wondered if the story was really true. If so, is there anyone in the clans who is helping the Dark Forest?

—————-
Note:
I'm really sorry for not posting in a while! Because of my absence, I'll be posting two chapters! I'll try to get more chapter out, I have a lot written but I just need to read through them again before I release them!