Chapter 28

Gingerpaw sat beside her brother, Fuzzypaw, who had his head so low to the ground, that his nose was almost touching it.
Wolfrunner, Lightpaw, Darkpaw, Bouncefrost, Falconwing, Mudsplash, and Fallshadow had all disappeared almost two weeks ago, and only Gingerpaw and Fuzzypaw knew where they really were.
Fuzzypaw was extremely upset that his friend had left him, and Gingerpaw was angry that Wolfrunner left her and FireClan.
The whole clan was looking everywhere for them, and Drizzlestar and Leapfrost were very worried about their kits.
"What if they left because I wasn't a good mother to them?" Drizzlestar had said. "Does this have to do with what I made Wolfrunner do to Nev?"
Drizzlestar had let Nev go the day after Wolfrunner left. Gingerpaw felt bad for the kittypet. Even though he did some terrible things to Drizzlestar, he didn't deserve what he got.
"You were a good mother to them, Drizzlestar." Leapfrost replied. "Wherever they are, I'm sure they have a reason that they are gone."
Clawtooth just snorted. "They aren't loyal to FireClan, and Wolfrunner thought I wasn't the loyal one!"
Gingerpaw shook her head. I need to let him go... he made his choice, and I made mine. I chose loyalty over love...
Gingerpaw glanced at her brother. He had to make the same choice with Lightpaw... at least I'm not the only one.
"Do... do you think they'll come back?" Fuzzypaw suddenly said, finally looking up at her.
Gingerpaw sighed, closing her eyes. "I don't know..."
Fuzzypaw looked away again, his expression full of obvious pain. "Lightpaw was my best friend... I don't know what's gotten into her, but she would never have left me like that before."
Gingerpaw nodded slowly. "I understand how you feel. Wolfrunner's changed a lot too..."

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the Hightree for a clan meeting!"
Gingerpaw rushed over to the Hightree, gazing up at her leader with excitement. Leapfrost, Fuzzypaw, and Breezetail following behind.
She and Fuzzypaw had just passed their warriors assessments!
If only Lightpaw and Darkpaw were here too... Gingerpaw thought sadly. And If only Wolfrunner were here to watch me become a warrior...
"As a leader, it is my job to name warriors for the clan, and I am honored to name two apprentices who have worked hard for this day." Drizzlestar meowed. "Gingerpaw and Fuzzypaw, please step forward."
Gingerpaw followed her brother, taking a step towards Drizzlestar.
Drizzlestar turned her head to Leapfrost and Breezetail. "Are these two ready to become warriors?"
"Yes." Both warriors replied.
Drizzlestar rested her gaze back on Gingerpaw and Fuzzypaw. "Gingerpaw, Fuzzypaw, do you both promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your clan even at the cost of your lives?"
Gingerpaw glanced at her parents, Flamepelt and Featherheart, who were staring at her proudly, then nodded. "I do!"
"I do." Fuzzypaw said more quietly.
Drizzlestar lifted her head up to the sky. "Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior names. Gingerpaw, from this moment on, you will be known as Gingerflame." She smiled then looked at Fuzzypaw. "And Fuzzypaw, you will now be known as Fuzzypelt. Serve FireClan well."
Gingerflame purred as the clan cheered their names.
"Gingerflame! Fuzzypelt!"
Drizzlestar jumped down, but as soon as her paws touched the ground, a cat near the camp entrance let out a yowl.
Gingerflame turned her head to see who the cat was. Her blue eyes widened as she saw Wolfrunner and every else who had left behind him.
Gingerflame didn't know if she should feel shocked, happy, or angry, but at the moment she couldn't feel anything at all.
"W-Wolfrunner!" Drizzlestar stammered. Her gaze trailed to the others, and she purred. "My kits have returned!"
Leapfrost raced to her side, a smile on his face. "Where have you all been, we've been worried sick!"
Wolfrunner dipped his head. "And we are all sorry. We were being foolish by thinking it was a good idea to leave, but we all agreed that FireClan is the only true home for us."
Clawtooth stepped forward, baring his teeth like he was going to make a rude remark, but just grinned instead. "Welcome home."
Wolfrunner just nodded and started to walk past all of the gathered warriors who were trying to speak to him, but he ignored them all and left the others who had returned home with him to answer the questions. Suddenly, Gingerflame realized that he was coming straight towards her. Gingerflame began to turn away, but Wolfrunner lightly touched her shoulder with his tail.
"Please, wait." Wolfrunner said, almost as if he was begging her not to leave him.
Gingerflame lashed her tail. "Why should I? You left me, obviously showing me that you don't care about me."
Wolfrunner's eyes widened. "I'm really sorry for what I did. I... I don't know what in the name of StarClan came over me. But you were right, you were right about everything."
Gingerflame stared at him as he continued speaking. "That was not me. I was being a stupid, selfish, mousebrain, and you deserve way more than me. I've made a huge mistake by leaving my clan, and by leaving you. Every second I was away from you, felt like moons. Without you in my life, I don't know how things would honestly be." He looked down at his paws, as if he were nervous. "I'll understand if you don't accept my apology, and I won't care if you move on with your life and find someone else that makes you happy. Just at least if I get to see your face everyday, and for you to be in my life, then I'll be happy forever."
Wolfrunner's blue eyes meet Gingerflame, and she knew he was waiting for her to respond. Honestly, she didn't know how to react to what she just heard from him. But all she knew was that he knew he made a huge mistake, and he was finally back to the Wolfrunner that she knew and loved before, the Wolfrunner that she always dreamed to be with.
"I accept your apology." Gingerflame purred. "Even if you were acting like a dumb furball, I still love you for the real you."
Wolfrunner purred back. "I love you too, Gingerpaw. Or should I say Gingerflame now?"
"I wish you could have watched my ceremony." Gingerflame mewed, smiling.
Wolfrunner grinned. "I did. We were waiting outside the camp before we decided to show ourselves. I told them that we shouldn't interrupt your ceremony."
"Well, thanks for that then." Gingerflame replied.
Wolfrunner licked her ear, purring. "You're welcome."
"Okay, enough you two!" Lightpaw barreled into Wolfrunner, pinning him down. "Let's celebrate our return and Fuzzypelt's and Gingerflame's new names with a feast! I'm starving!"
"Alright! As long as you get off of me, you heavy mousebrain!" Wolfrunner purred.
"You take that back!" Lightpaw mewed, pawing his ears.
"Fine! I'm sorry!" Wolfrunner's whiskers twitched with amusement.
Lightpaw snorted then jumped off of him, bounding towards the fresh kill pile.
"You're lucky she didn't shred you to pieces." Darkpaw purred. He nudged Gingerflame and Wolfrunner towards the fresh kill pile. "Come on, we don't have all day."
Gingerflame and Wolfrunner walked side by side, each grabbing a piece of fresh kill. They joined Lightpaw, Fuzzypelt, Darkpaw, Bouncefrost, Drizzlestar, Falconwing, Clawtooth, and Leapfrost, lying down next to each other.
As Gingerflame chatted with her clanmates, she couldn't be happier. Things were finally going how she dreamed of, even better. And whatever would come to them in the future, they would face it. Together.