Chapter 1 - A Fateful Encounter

"This is something only you can do..."

Itsuki makes a mad dash for the cave. Damn it! I must've underestimated the Grimamon, he thinks to himself. It's unusual for him to have trouble defeating one. I can do this! I'm strong! Itsuki chants in his head. Everything will work out!

Without a second reserved for hesitation, he emerges from the cave and strikes the Grimamon with his armor. It falls to the ground and moans in agony. Unfortunately, it makes a speedy recovery by quickly regenerating its damaged body parts and attempts to shove Itsuki to the ground.

"Nice try, purple-face!" He laughs.

The Grimamon glares at him with its oversized eyes. Enraged, it furiously breaks into a sprint towards its foe.

Thinking fast, Itsuki begins launching the laser on his armor. "Destruction mode: Primal Force!" He shouts.

Within seconds, the colossal purple creature is destroyed, leaving a trail of sticky green substance on the arid wasteland. Itsuki recoils at the mess.

"Alright! Time's up!" Professor Mars exclaims from the control room.

The room lights up again and the illusion of the barren earth vanishes.

Erika jumps from her seat and envelops her older brother in a warm embrace.

"You were amazing!" She squeals in delight.

Itsuki removes his helmet from his head, revealing a bashful expression plastered across his face.

Professor Mars approaches the pair and winks at them. "Great job, Itsuki! Keep up the good work!" She beams, enhancing the joyous atmosphere. "However, I have some news I'd like to share with you. Today will probably be my final training session with you before the Cyberarmor Golden Cup Tournament. You see, Galactica will be very busy with robot production in the next month. So, I want to make sure I'm on top of things first. I hope you don't mind," she says glumly afterwards.

Itsuki sighs but smiles weakly.

Ever since he was seven, he'd always wanted to win the Cyberarmor Golden Cup Tournament. Now that he's seventeen, he wants to at least achieve that dream.

In 2146, Cyberarmor Fighting is a popular sport among teenagers and young adults. It involves wearing a mobile armor which allows its user to fly and fight Grimamon, monsters born from genetic mutation experiments.

Professor Mars paces towards him and pats his back. "Perhaps this next bit of news might cheer you up? I thought that since I can't be here with you, you could borrow my keys to the control room and train whenever you like. Except, I'll have to double check whether I can organize a robot to come and supervise you," she tells Itsuki.

It's as if the light has chased away all the darkness from him because he leaps into the air and wraps himself around her.

"Hooray! Hooray!" Erika cheers, just as enthusiastic as her brother.

Professor Mars smiles awkwardly before being released from Itsuki's grip.

"Thank you so much!" He exclaims.

...

"Kohane! Are you there?" A Model Pawn calls into a small science lab.

In Galactica, robots are assigned to individual tasks in assisting the company and have been categorized into different groups: Model Pawn, Model Knight, Model Rook, Model Bishop and Model Queen, etc. Each will have a slightly different design for differentiation purposes. Moreover, this type of robot is known as the Hybrid 2000, which is named after the number of each model produced in the initial launch. Additionally, they are a fusion of both old and new mechanism. Kurumi is a Hybrid 2000: Model Pawn who is responsible for housework and cleaning inside the facility. She was the twelfth one of her model to be made.

The robot steps inside a dimly-lit room and spots her 'sister' sitting by a charger on the wall. Curious to see how she is doing, she approaches the dormant robot. To her surprise, the robot flutters open her eyes and gazes into hers.

"Oh... It's you, Kurumi," Kohane mutters.

Kurumi crouches down beside her and places her metallic hands onto those of Kohane.

"Come outside with me. It's a beautiful day today and it'll be such a waste if we don't go and enjoy it, right?" her soothing voice pleads. Much to Kurumi's disappointment, Kohane buries her head into her knees.

"I'm still downloading a new software..." she lies, hoping her sister would leave her alone.

Kurumi shrinks back and checks the computer screen on the table beside them. "But your program finished its download four hours ago..." she says.

It's been difficult getting her sister to stay active these days. Ever since their creator, Doctor Masara left Galactica on short notice ten months ago, Kohane has been isolating herself from society, hoping that one day her father would return and tell her, her purpose.

Kohane thinks to herself. Everyone has a specific role in Galactica. Yet, I do not have one... I wish to be useful like the others someday. But it's as if I'm not meant to be born... An accident...A mere experiment... All my sisters except Kurumi tease me for being useless. I don't have a proper model number like the others, and they have red eyes in comparison to my blue ones. These chains of self-doubt and loneliness have bounded me to this solitude for so long, and the darkness is enveloping me, consuming me more and more each day...

Suddenly, Kurumi interrupts her deep thoughts. "Alright then. If you really don't want to go outside, I'll leave you to your 'downloading'," her sister says with arched eyebrows, emphasizing the word.

Kohane gives a light nod and rests her head on her knees as Kurumi exits the lab.

...

It's 3pm by the time Kohane wakes up, only to realize that she'd been asleep for a few hours. She drowsily removes her charging cable and hops off her chair to go check her next task. As if on cue, her computer screen lights up and a window springs into view, notifying her of where to go next.

Since Kohane wasn't especially made to support the facility, she is often called upon to take care of simple tasks such as delivering messages to various departments of Galactica or substituting the nurses in the infirmary when they are on leave.

Silence resonates in the hallways as she pads towards the lift. Kohane presses for the ground floor as the doors slide together.

Upon arriving at her destination, she notices all the intricate designs of spacecrafts and planes parked in the grand space. Kohane stares in awe as several men wearing bright fluro uniform fix the wheel of a long jet which measures well over twenty meters.

Kohane's task is to gather all the Model Pawns for their next cleaning duty in the robot factory.

A familiar voice reaches her ears as she peers over a truckload of building material. Sure enough, it's her sister, Kurumi. She is gleefully wiping the stains on a medium-sized space shuttle. But before Kohane can say another word, her shoulder is met with a sharp tap.

Instantly, Kohane spins her head around, only to meet the eyes of a boy around her age. His warm brown hair and dazzling smile makes even a robot blush at his presence. From behind his back, a girl with similar facial features jumps out and waves playfully.

"Excuse me, my sister and I were just exploring this fantastic place when we suddenly got lost. Do you mind telling me where the lift to the seventh floor is?" the boy asks.

But before she can respond, he lets out a gasp of amazement. "Wow! What a magnificent shade of blue your eyes are! Have we met before?! I don't think I've seen you around. Nice to meet you! I'm Itsuki Hoshizaki! This is my younger sister, Erika!" He gushes while pointing towards the girl next to him, who is equally bright and happy.

Although he had a friendly approach, Kohane does not feel comfortable as he leans in closer to her and grabs her arm. She freezes stock-still and releases a high-pitched squeak.

"Eeek!"

In a matter of seconds, she dashes to the exit, leaving Itsuki and Erika staring after her long-gone shadow in awe.