Chapter 5 - Confession in the Candlelight

It's been a few days since Itsuki properly talked to Kohane. He just wants to find out what happened between her and Kayla that made her storm off. It's pretty out of character for Kohane to do something like that, but Itsuki can already piece together parts of the puzzle. He just needs more clarification, that's all.

These past few days were awkward and dissatisfying, and Itsuki wants to mend things badly.

It's Tuesday morning, and Itsuki is standing by the window as usual.

Alright! What I need to do is find a good opportunity to sort things out with Kohane! He instructs himself determinedly.

He spots Kohane coming of the kitchen and is now striding towards the front door. Here I go!

"Listen, Kohane!" He exclaims as she opens the door to go out.

She immediately stops but doesn't turn her head around to look at him.

"I know something must've happened to make you upset! I'm sorry if it was my fault in any way! I really want to talk with you just like the way we did before! Can you give me a chance to redeem myself at least?"

Still, she doesn't spin her head around to face him.

"Meet me back here at seven tonight. If you can, wear something nice. I've got a surprise for you! Professor Mars will be attending Erika's friend's birthday party with her tonight, so it'll just be the two of us... Please come! That is... only if you want to... I won't force you if you don't want to... But I just wanted to let you know, since I'll be waiting..." he says as his face turns beetroot red.

Although Itsuki can't make out whether Kohane did it or not, since he is pretty much standing at least five meters away from her, he sees her move her head in a fashion that is somewhere along the lines of a nod. But before he can say another word, Kohane slips out the door and shuts it swiftly.

She runs down the corridor and towards the lift, before dashing inside and pressing for the 5th floor. Never before in her life, has she felt so nervous.

Suddenly, something dawns on her. I don't have anything 'nice' to wear!

Now circling the interior of the lift, she tries to figure something out. What am I going to do!? I don't have anything to wear besides the shirt and denim pants that was given to me since the day I was built... But I don't want to be a disappointment either!

Out of the blue, she stuffs her hand into the pocket of her denim pants and feels something inside. Curious, she pulls out a white strip of paper with a phone number written in messy handwriting on it.

At this rate, there's only one person who can truly help her.

...

Kohane rushes to her science lab and picks up the telephone on one of the counters, before dialing the number written on the strip of paper.

Come on! Come on! Please answer! Kohane pleads in her head as the call is connecting.

"Hello?" A familiar voice answers as they pick up on the other end.

"Oh Saki! I'm so glad you picked up!" Kohane gushes as she bounces up and down with excitement.

"Hey there, Kohane! You finally decided to call me?" Saki laughs.

Kohane smiles. "Yeah. You see, I have a problem over here..." she mutters into the receiver as she plays with some screws on the counter.

"Enlighten me," Saki demands.

So, Kohane spends the next five minutes explaining her situation to her friend. Luckily, Saki seems to be a really kind and understanding girl.

"But that's so cute! I can't believe he asked you out! He's so brave for making the first move!" Saki gushes on the other end.