Chapter 4 - The Wolf under the Sheep's skin

"Kohane! Kohane, where are you?!" Itsuki calls into the interior of his house a few days later. It's a bright and sunny day outside, the perfect weather to be out and about.

"Yeah?!" Kohane responds as she hears Itsuki's footsteps near her.

"Wait, where are you?" Itsuki questions as he strides down the hallway. He passes the door of the bathroom and pokes his head inside to observe.

Sure enough, he sees Kohane inside, vigorously scrubbing the sink with a sponge while wearing a pair of waterproof pink washing gloves.

"Oh, good morning Itsuki!" She beams at him as she rests the sponge on an empty spot beside the sink.

"What on earth are you doing?!" Itsuki gasps as he approaches the robot.

"Oh... I thought it would be helpful to help you guys wash your sink," she explains as she smiles awkwardly.

Itsuki removes the gloves from Kohane's hands.

"There's no need for that," he tells her as he rests the gloves atop of the sponge.

Kohane stares at him in disbelief. "At least let me do my part in this household! I can't just live here and not contribute at all!" Kohane whines as she feels her cheeks flush red.

Itsuki sighs. "It's fine. I'll do that for you when we get home today. But what I wanted to ask you is whether you want to come out for lunch with me?" he says as he tugs at Kohane's hand.

"J-just the two of us?" Kohane squeaks as she feels her core pounding inside her metallic body.

Itsuki laughs as he guides Kohane out of the bathroom. "No! My friend Kayla heard a lot about you from me lately. So, she wanted to take the opportunity to meet you. I'm sure you two can be good friends!"

Kohane feels a little disappointed but musters a smile. "Oh... okay then. If you say she's nice, then I'm certain that she is," Kohane tries to answer cheerily as they make their way to the living room.

"Great! She said she'd meet us in Soleil at 12:30pm," Itsuki tells Kohane.

Kohane nods. She had previously done a few delivery jobs for them. It's the most popular restaurant in Galactica. They have an all you can eat buffet on Fridays and Saturdays during lunch hours, and the occasional buffet at night too. Rumor has it that if you eat the highest prawn on the seafood tower, you'll have eternal happiness. But of course, Kohane thinks that that's ridiculous.

"Come on, Kohane. We don't want to be late," Itsuki says as he shuffles his shoes on, snapping Kohane out of her daydream.

...

When they reach the top floor, Itsuki and Kohane turn right and head down the first corridor they see and into Soleil.

It's Thursday, but the restaurant is packed with people.

Itsuki spots his friend seated by the window near the middle and waves to her as Kohane follows behind.

"Itsuki! It's good to see you again!" Kayla greets as she gets up from her chair and gives him a brief hug.

Kohane is standing awkwardly beside him now, not sure what to do.

"Thanks for inviting us today," Itsuki tells Kayla as he pushes an empty chair back and sits himself down, before unraveling the napkin and placing it onto his lap.

"Oh! You must be the friend Itsuki always talks about! Kohane, wasn't it?" Kayla beams as she offers a hand for Kohane to shake on.

She awkwardly extends her android hand for Kayla to shake, but is still feeling a bit uncomfortable.