Chapter 11 - Aftermath

Needless to say, Mr. Samsford was fired several days after the incident. Although the boss was grateful for the CEO's contribution in helping him build the company from ground up, it didn't erase all that he's done to harm everyone in the facility, including the robots.

"This will give him a chance to reflect on his actions," Mr. Hinazuki said. "I unfortunately cannot help him once he leaves Galactica. He will have to find his way around life himself."

All the company staff stared at the boss in awe at how calm he was when saying this.

"I hope he learns to let down his pride from time to time, and to truly place his trust onto those around him. I sincerely wish him all the best," the boss continued. "Who knows when we'll meet again. But when or if we do, I hope he has changed for the better..."

...

Once the meeting is over, Kayla grabs Itsuki's arm and leads him outside and into the wide corridor of the main building. They stop beside the window, which displays a nice blue sky looking over the aircraft runway on a sunny morning.

"Kayla, what's the matter?" Itsuki questions as he notices Kayla fiddling with the bow on the sash tied around her waist and is looking as tense as ever.

She takes a deep breath.

"Hey look, I just want to say that I'm really sorry for the way I acted towards you, and towards Kohane before," she begins.

Itsuki's eyes grow wide. He's suddenly sensing a change in his childhood friend.

"I-I'm aware that I got a bit carried away last time. I lashed out and said some pretty horrible things and hurt the both of you... Honestly, I just feel so terrible at what I did!" Kayla tells Itsuki. 

She then swallows and her eyes seem glossy as if she's about to cry. "I know I've ruined the beautiful friendship between us, and I know we can no longer go back to the way we were before. But I just want to sincerely apologize on behalf of myself and my past actions. I guess I also wanted a bit of closure as well..."

Itsuki sighs, but then proceeds to smile tenderly at his friend.

"You know what, it's alright," he responds. "At the end of the day, we all have to realize that no one is perfect. Not me. Not you. Not anyone. But I think the most important thing to remember is to reflect on our actions and admit to our faults in order to grow and change for the better."

Kayla stares at the 17-year-old in awe. It seems like Itsuki's wise words have moved her heart.

"Really? You'll accept my apology and forgive me?"

"Of course I'll forgive you! But don't just think I'm doing it for the sake of you alone. I'm doing it for myself, as well as for Kohane..." Itsuki tells Kayla as he trails off at the mention of her name. "Sometimes, it's best to let go of things and not dwell on them. It doesn't benefit anyone to latch onto the past too much. I'm always trying to move forward in life, all while using the past to guide my behaviour in the present, as well as in the future. I hope you can adopt a similar mindset too. I would never want to see you hug all responsibility and not be able to live life to the fullest," he continues.

Kayla nods at his words. "Thank you, Itsuki. I am relieved to hear that."

Suddenly, Itsuki laughs once again. "Oh Kayla, of course I'd forgive you! I would never be so mean as to hate you or ignore you for the rest of my life. I'm not a horrible person, you know. Honestly, you're so funny and cute sometimes!"

Hearing this, Kayla's pupils dilate as she her face flushes red suddenly.

"D-did you just call me c-cute?!" She squeaks, clearly very embarrassed.